endtoend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tomb1960

Huge congratulations and respect Mart

Amanda P

Legendary Member
starseven said:
I would also be interested in anyones experiences of jogle/legog. ... anyone done it camping, self sufficient etc? are hostels BB,s the way to go?

Yep. Take a look at our write up here.

We camped all but two nights. Willing to answer questions if you have 'em, either here or via pm.

Hi Unc

Excellent write up , nice to have a missus who would/could do the trip!!

Like yourself my ideal trip would be primarily self sufficient to allow for detours and avoid having to get to a point at a certain time et, but may include a couple of nights in a BB to take stock or dry out.

I hope to take a couple of weeks for the trip probably next year myself and a couple of cycling friends.

The route is also a concern , I want to get the most traffic free route possible even considered the north sea cycle route up the east coast instead of lejog.

I will probably spend the next 9 months finely planning a route then go an entirely different way!!!

Cheers

Amanda P

Legendary Member
It can stop seeming like an adventure if you do too much planning.

That said, planning can be half the fun. So the best compromise is probably to have Plans A, B and C and choose between them as you go along, or to have a plan but be happy to abandon it if something else seems better on the day.

As long as you're heading north! (Always assuming that is, that you start in the south...)

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Kirstie said:
[stands up, clears throat, raises hand]
And me. South to north. Next August. Solo.
[sits down]

Yeah!

Go for it!

Don't spend too much time planning though :-) Just make sure that you have the beginning and the end mapped out and, if you are camping and willing to wild camp, the rest will take care of itself :biggrin:

Make sure that you don't over commit yourself with over ambitious daily mileages. I've met a few riders who, had they not been sponsored, would have packed in as their schedules made each day an ordeal.

Thank you for the advice.
I'm not a camper...I will do it credit card style. And unfortunately I am an obsessive planner - in fact planning is half the pleasure for me, but I can be flexible once I have planned ie have options, so should be OK.

U

User482

I did LEJOG last month south to north, and had a headwind all the way to Fort William! Great fun though.

Well done User482, Is that your first time? any particular reason or just fancy the challange?

Everything go smooth?

U

User482

starseven said:
Well done User482, Is that your first time? any particular reason or just fancy the challange?

Everything go smooth?

First time, and mainly for the challenge, although I did raise money for MacMillan cancer support.

It all went remarkably smoothly, save for a poor saddle choice on my part, that necessitated a replacement on route. Specialized Avatar BG is NOT recommended! Not one puncture though!

We took 12 days, averaging 75 miles/ day which I think is spot on. That meant that we were finished by 6pm every night, so plenty of time to relax in the evening & enjoy a single malt or 3. I saw some lads at JOG who had done it in 7 days supported, a fantastic effort for sure, but they looked absolutely spent, and I can't believe they enjoyed it that much.

We stayed in YHAs & B&Bs so luggage was kept down to two medium panniers each.

U

User482

Kirstie said:
Don't forget to post your route on the page mentioned earlier in the thread!

Might be a while - it exists only as a highlighter pen on ripped out pages from a road atlas!

Which reminds me - Phillips spiral bound road atlas - brilliant for touring due to 2.5 miles to inch scale, plus it shows campsites & YHAs. Just take the pages you need...

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
User482 said:
Might be a while - it exists only as a highlighter pen on ripped out pages from a road atlas!

Which reminds me - Phillips spiral bound road atlas - brilliant for touring due to 2.5 miles to inch scale, plus it shows campsites & YHAs. Just take the pages you need...

Yeah! That's the way to do it! They are cheap enough to dismantle. I bought two - one for each direction though I did the rides in different years and I didn't want to be too influenced by the route I did first.

I did my 'colouring in' the week before I set off. One or two of the marked sites were caravan only but wild camping came to the rescue.

toontra

Veteran
User482 said:
It all went remarkably smoothly, save for a poor saddle choice on my part, that necessitated a replacement on route. Specialized Avatar BG is NOT recommended! Not one puncture though!

Just goes to show how personal saddle choice is! I tried all sorts of saddles without success and finally ended up with a Spec. Avatar on my Audax bike. This year I did 2 back-to-back 175 miles with barely a twinge. I now have these on all my bikes.

Top Bottom