Endurance....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ndurance-antarctic?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Incredible!

Shackleton's diaries are an amazing read. After so long on the ice, setting out on a lifeboat to sail 800miles to find South Georgia...a needle in an oceanic haystack is one of the greatest maritime feats of all time. Then having to march across the island to find a whaling station and then organise rescue. Not a man lost.

“For scientific discovery give me Scott; for speed and efficiency of travel give me Amundsen; but when disaster strikes and all hope is gone, get down on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”
Sir Raymond Priestly, Antarctic Explorer and Geologist.

tyred

Legendary Member
I read Shackleton's biography and it's a truely fascinating read. One of the great inspirational people in history.

Strange thing is that though he did such a great job of planning and leading his expeditions his private life was a complete shambles.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It’s a damned fine adventure and tale of disaster followed by success. Not a single death with every one getting out of the situation they found themselves in.

I also have some old books that are writings of those who took part in the Everest expeditions in the 30s, long before success came. By names perhaps not so well known.

512D0030-9D0D-466B-A751-4CC39EEF7ABE.jpeg

80978268-0DE8-4C9A-8F37-49474F6480BD.jpeg

The James Caird, the small boat in which Shakleton made that incredible rescue voyage, could until quite recently be seen in one of the cloisters at Dulwich College in SE London. You could just wander in off the street/south circular (or at least casual folks like me could) and look at it. When leading SE London rides I used to sometimes take folk in to see it. The door wasn't usually locked.

It's now been moved and you have to make an appointment to see it.

Shackleton was an old boy of Dulwich. Motley roll call they've got - so were Raymond Chandler and Nigel Farage.

@classic33 I may be mistaken/may be false memory but I have an idea that Shackleton's professional life, his incredible rescue mission notwithstanding, might not have been so smooth/trouble free either.

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It’s a damned fine adventure and tale of disaster followed by success. Not a single death with every one getting out of the situation they found themselves in.

I also have some old books that are writings of those who took part in the Everest expeditions in the 30s, long before success came. By names perhaps not so well known.

View attachment 634541
View attachment 634542
Love those. Am quite an Everest fan....

classic33

Leg End Member
The James Caird, the small boat in which Shakleton made that incredible rescue voyage, could until quite recently be seen in one of the cloisters at Dulwich College in SE London. You could just wander in off the street/south circular (or at least casual folks like me could) and look at it. When leading SE London rides I used to sometimes take folk in to see it. The door wasn't usually locked.

It's now been moved and you have to make an appointment to see it.

Shackleton was an old boy of Dulwich. Motley roll call they've got - so were Raymond Chandler and Nigel Farage.

@classic33 I may be mistaken/may be false memory but I have an idea that Shackleton's professional life, his incredible rescue mission notwithstanding, might not have been so smooth/trouble free either.
Why me!

I don't read many actual books. but when I do, it's non-fiction. I love stories of adventure, such as "Into Thin Air" "The Perfect Storm" and a book about Shackleton (don't remember the title) but the harrowing & almost unthinkable things they did to survive was just astonishing. see that video today of the wreck was so exciting. I guess they can't raise it & stick it in a museum, eh?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Shackleton's own account of the expedition "south" is a wonderful read. I have a particularly nice picture book edition. Everything is understated almost as if it was an episode from "Swallows and Amazons", then something jerks you back to the harsh reality of it like someone dropping a piece of cheese no bigger than his fingernail then spending two days (successfully) searching for it on the ground and "thought it well worth the trouble. Apart from crossing the ice after having to abandon Endurance, they spent two winters on Elephant Island in an upturned rowing boat waiting for Shackleton to return with a rescue party. He had sailed 1400 miles across the Southern Ocean for help and return he did. The men on the island must have thought he'd likely not made it, but kept their hopes up anyway. This book of Frank Hurley's photo's is pretty awesome too.

Top Bottom