Endurance....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
one of my older brothers wrote, directed & self produced an off off off Broadway play based on Shackleton. he made it a romantic comedy

As Shackleton passed the last of the seal blubber to Worsley …

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have an idea that Shackleton's professional life, his incredible rescue mission notwithstanding, might not have been so smooth/trouble free either.
I read a book on this subject and Shackleton's funding of his expeditions reminded me of "The Producers". Going around sweet talking a succession wealthy widows, taking their money saying "congratulations, you now own 50% of my next expedition".

I read a book on this subject and Shackleton's funding of his expeditions reminded me of "The Producers". Going around sweet talking a succession wealthy widows, taking their money saying "congratulations, you now own 50% of my next expedition".
mm - maybe that was the bell tinkling in the back of my mind.

roley poley

Über Member
could you name the book for us please ...I am not knocking the man down yet would love to know more background

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
could you name the book for us please ...I am not knocking the man down yet would love to know more background
Nope, I read it ages ago. Just look for biogs of Shackleton or do a bit of research on how he funded his expeditions.

Funding his expeditions was always problematic. Of the three boats on the Endurance - the Dudley Docker, the James Caid and the Stancomb WIlls the last was named after Dame Janet Stancomb Wills https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Stancomb-Wills

By the way I'm not suggesting that Shackleton fraudulently oversold his expeditions in the same manner as Bialystock and Bloom in The Producers. Just that his source of funding tended to be wealthy aristocratic ladies - which is why I thought of Zero Mostel. It was just a flight of fancy on my part.

Nope, I read it ages ago. Just look for biogs of Shackleton or do a bit of research on how he funded his expeditions.

Funding his expeditions was always problematic. Of the three boats on the Endurance - the Dudley Docker, the James Caid and the Stancomb WIlls the last was named after Dame Janet Stancomb Wills https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janet_Stancomb-Wills

By the way I'm not suggesting that Shackleton fraudulently oversold his expeditions in the same manner as Bialystock and Bloom in The Producers. Just that his source of funding tended to be wealthy aristocratic ladies - which is why I thought of Zero Mostel. It was just a flight of fancy on my part.
My memory is that some of his other expeditions were a bit shaky in their financing arrangements.

"Lloyds of London had insured her for £15,000 which was the first time in history a ship had been insured into the waters of the Antarctic such was their confidence in the voyage and quality of the ship."
http://ernest-shackleton.com/endurance/

Top Bottom