Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just do monthly meter readings, log into your account and update them. Whilst at it, there is a Direct Debit Manager page where you can adjust the amount ! All done. Took my supplier over a year to bring my rate down when we really looked at electric consumption and cut it massively.

I don't have any problem with that BUT if their meters and their algorithms were as intelligent and alert as a half-asleep over-75yo, they wouldn't be cutting my DD by such a large %. It is as if they are unaware -- or, rather, that there is no part of their programming which takes into consideration - the fact that August and September are, as a general rule, warmer months than those immediately following and, as a consequence, less electricity will be used ...

toffee

Guru
I don't have any problem with that BUT if their meters and their algorithms were as intelligent and alert as a half-asleep over-75yo, they wouldn't be cutting my DD by such a large %. It is as if they are unaware -- or, rather, that there is no part of their programming which takes into consideration - the fact that August and September are, as a general rule, warmer months than those immediately following and, as a consequence, less electricity will be used ...

Surely the money is better sitting in your bank account than theirs.

I don't understand why people want to hold large amounts of credit in their account?

Reactions: mjr
Surely the money is better sitting in your bank account than theirs.

I don't understand why people want to hold large amounts of credit in their account?

I don't want to hold large amounts of credit in my electricity account. I have never said I did! A small buffer - a matter of £20 or so - is scarcely 'large amounts', by any stretch of the imagination, even mine.
I have been in this flat for barely 2 months and have never used this type of heating system before. I am only now starting to develop an idea of the best, and most economical, way to use it, and how much energy it uses, and it is clear that over the next couple of months, the small buffer which I had planned will be used up and the DD can at that point be adjusted and - I hope - reduced, depending on what happens to energy prices.

What I did not anticipate was algorithms and smart meters 'jumping the gun' as it were and cutting the DD by a very considerable amount - at the same time as my consumption is very clearly increasing significantly from a summer months' low level!
Even I, with my dozy 76yo brain, can see that cutting my DD by 50% now, will result in it having to go back up again by the end of the year, if not earlier, and my needing to recalculate my entire budget yet again.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Even I, with my dozy 76yo brain, can see that cutting my DD by 50% now, will result in it having to go back up again by the end of the year, if not earlier, and my needing to recalculate my entire budget yet again.
the system is flawed . I’ve got a very large credit sitting . However when I go to manage my DD, the system has suggested I increase it ! Now I’m not stupid either , so I won’t be doing that . I’ll see how my credit balance is doing come end of the year . I may ask for a refund of some of it .

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't stress, log in and put the DD back up. I have to adjust mine as their algorithm's aren't very smart. Don't think a Smart meter is any better, it's only giving you real time use and telling them what you've used (until they break).

My two year fixed rate is up for renewal and I got details through today.

The unit rate for electricity is a fraction of a penny higher and the rate for gas half a penny lower. The biggest difference is in standing charge which nearly doubled for electricity and up 25% on gas.

Overall the DD has been suggested to go from £92 to £103 a month so not as bad as I was expecting. We are also £300+ in credit on the account so will see how things are in spring and may ask them to reduce the DD again.

presta

Guru
My two year fixed rate is up for renewal and I got details through today.

The unit rate for electricity is a fraction of a penny higher and the rate for gas half a penny lower. The biggest difference is in standing charge which nearly doubled for electricity and up 25% on gas.

Overall the DD has been suggested to go from £92 to £103 a month so not as bad as I was expecting. We are also £300+ in credit on the account so will see how things are in spring and may ask them to reduce the DD again.

How did you wangle that? My 2 year fixed ran out 3 weeks ago and the new tariff is £1870, up from about £1250. The only option listed on Money Supermarket is more expensive.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
In the last 3 years the most my account has been in credit is £268, and the most in arrears is £93.

I’m never usually in credit , however the solar install this year has helped . To the point I’m sitting with over £800 in credit and a months payment missed back in the summer ! Yep it’s a lot to be leaving to the energy companies , however it will getting eaten into in the next 2/3 months . Come Jan I will revise my DD , however now having bought an EV , our usage is about to increase !

vickster

Legendary Member
My green Octopus fixed just ended, I’ve gone from around £92 a month to an estimated £104 (I’m quite heavily in credit already)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm with Shell, was planning to switch to Octopus, taking advantage of the referral bonus offer.
I procrastinated: got an email on Friday, Shell has been bought over by Octopus! :laugh:

Top Bottom