Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I'm a bit shocked by the increase in Energy bills, I'm currently with OutFoxtheMarket, I need to renew dual fuel this month, but all the comparison sites are showing a big increase. :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I believe it's all up. Currently reeling from the winter bill as everyone was home working, and heating the conservatory and shed through winter. Was still cheaper than the fuel bills into work though. Keeping an eye on meter readings though.

I think it is because the government/regulator has forced the companies to stop ramping up the prices for people who never switch so they can offer cheap deals to attract new people

Hence a large number of people they have been ripping off for years will get a nice drop in prices
but CLEARLY this cannot be allowed to affect their profits so prices for people who are on a good deal will go up to compensate

SOME PEOPLE are saying that JUST MAYBE some companies might increase some prices slightly more than necessary because there is a lot of stuff about prices going up - so if they go up a bit more than necessary they can just blame the regulator
but saying that would be cynical
:eek:

34 quid every month for electrickery. I make a point of meter reading beginning and end of month phoning them and paying. Their estimate bills are laughable.
Can confirm, unless you have some form of smart meter, deemed reads are an absolute joke. At least for the company I used to work for, the algorithm for estimating was extremely flawed. If you're ever unlucky enough to change meter, company, or address without a confirmed read on the switchover date, your final bill is based entirely on flimflam.

They deliberately overestimate your monthly direct debits so that you're in credit at the end of the year, because they don't want people to finish the year in arrears and then be lumbered with a huge final bill that they can't pay.
That's the theory, sure, but the reality for the customers I dealt with was very different. People would supposedly build up a credit over the summer only for it to vanish in winter when their usage was much higher. Possibly my opinion of it is skewed by the fact that I worked in prepayment so by definition only dealt with customers for whom quarterly bills and direct debit had not worked out.

At least where I worked, people with arrears don't get final bills, because the original supplier puts in a debt objection with OFGEM that prevents the switch. The worst thing about that job was booking a warrant for installation of a prepayment meter for people who were already clearly in a bad place.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I'm a bit shocked by the increase in Energy bills, I'm currently with OutFoxtheMarket, I need to renew dual fuel this month, but all the comparison sites are showing a big increase. :eek:
I had a look at OFM a couple of years ago and didn't feel their claims to be the cheapest were valid.

My approach may seem a bit anal but it works. I have a very simple spreadsheet in which I enter annual usage, standing charge, unit charge and have columns were I can then quickly see the annual charge for each.

Every year I check the current offers using 2-3 comparison websites. I put the individual charges in to my spreadsheet and check the real cost rather than rely on the price comparison sites.

Currently I'm with People's Energy who I find competitive, 100% renewable electricity, good service and ethos. I submit meter readings monthly and the DD varies automatically, up and down, if necessary. We are getting smart meters tomorrow.

I would advise avoiding Tonik Energy. When I wanted to leave I couldn't get the refund I was due. Customer Service was non-existent and I eventually went to the Ombudsman who awarded me £100 plus my refund.

I'd also advise you not to use Look After My Bills. This is a shockingly appalling company with zero customer service. In my case after a general enquiry I was shifted to a new, more expensive supplier with no reference to me. A bunch of charlatans portraying themselves as one thing while acting in an opposite manner.

It would be nice if there was a site that showed the best deals from each company - by standing charge and cost per unit

Rather than asking how much I think I use - or what size house I live in - then working it all out for me

I would rather just have the basic costs and work the rest out myself and say how much they think I will save over a month or a year

Tried to get something sorted yesterday and it just told me nothing is cheaper than my current - and the cheapest they can find is over £20 a months dearer!!!!:eek:

It would be nice if there was a site that showed the best deals from each company - by standing charge and cost per unit

Rather than asking how much I think I use - or what size house I live in - then working it all out for me

I would rather just have the basic costs and work the rest out myself and say how much they think I will save over a month or a year

Tried to get something sorted yesterday and it just told me nothing is cheaper than my current - and the cheapest they can find is over £20 a months dearer!!!!:eek:

There is a comparison site called Monva who seem to be trying to do it in a more "easy to compare" way. As I understand it they use AI to auto-complete your data and highlight key points to give you easier comparisons. No personal experience yet but it sounded worth a look when I'm ready

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
when will this feed through though? These increases are on wholesale prices aren't they?
Apparently, most companies buy Gas months in advance, so yes, at present, wholesale prices only. The UK still has 48% Gas from the North Sea, also Gas is imported by pipe from Norway.

"our largest single source of gas supply continues to be the UK Continental Shelf (approximately 48% of total supply in 2020), the maturity of that source means we have to supplement supply from international markets."

"We have a wide range of supply sources including direct pipelines across the North Sea from Norway to the UK, our single biggest source of imports."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-gas-supply-explainer

Top Bottom