Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
The companies that go bust can operate for years creaming off the extra that a fixed rate generally costs, then as we see now when the energy price goes through the roof they can just fold.

I'm guessing you've never run a company, if you think that "just" going bust is a desirable outcome.

I think the initial price rises were due to OPEC increasing the price of crude oil . They had decided that they weren't getting enough money and so cut production which raised the price . Electricity and Gas prices are linked to the price of crude oil and so have gone up .
It's the free market which is responsible !

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think the initial price rises were due to OPEC increasing the price of crude oil . They had decided that they weren't getting enough money and so cut production which raised the price . Electricity and Gas prices are linked to the price of crude oil and so have gone up .
It's the free market which is responsible !
It’s all closely linked , not helped by 5 Nuclear Power Stations going offline in France and the cable fire in Kent.
It’s like we don’t generate enough electricity in this country :whistle: . Whats happened to our own power industry?

Tenkaykev

Guru
It’s all closely linked , not helped by 5 Nuclear Power Stations going offline in France and the cable fire in Kent.
It’s like we don’t generate enough electricity in this country :whistle: . Whats happened to our own power industry?
It was sold to the highest bidder as that would promote competition and bring prices down…

midlife

Guru
The press keep saying that customers won’t lose out if a company goes bust, but that is not true. As detailed above, if your company goes under you get moved to another one, but you lose the rate you were on, £50 extra a month is certainly losing out. The companies that go bust can operate for years creaming off the extra that a fixed rate generally costs, then as we see now when the energy price goes through the roof they can just fold. I would love to know the dividends that were taken during the good days.

By losing out they mean that if you are in credit then that credit is not lost.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It was sold to the highest bidder as that would promote competition and bring prices down…
That’s working out well……

They have all be excited over the closure of coal fired power stations before they had anything to replace them .

Brandane

Legendary Member
Currently happy with the deal I have with Octopus energy, but as they are relatively small I guess they might be one of the suppliers about to go under. I hope not. Especially if I end up being passed on to NPower or Scottish Power. I swore blind, years ago, that neither of those companies would get another penny from me!

Currently happy with the deal I have with Octopus energy, but as they are relatively small I guess they might be one of the suppliers about to go under. I hope not. Especially if I end up being passed on to NPower or Scottish Power. I swore blind, years ago, that neither of those companies would get another penny from me!
Boss of octopus was on telly this morning. hope they are ok - I'm with Octopus - agree about npower - do they still exist or have they changed their name to try to wipe the slate clean on their dazzling incompetence?

vickster

Legendary Member
I was with GNE who went bust and was transferred to EDF on the GNE tariff which is ending this month. I was looking at Octopus. Their estimate is that variable rate currently would be £20 less than a fixed (£66 vs £86), am low user, they haven’t yet raised their variable rates, but guess it will go up but 25%?
decisions…
I’ll also need to see what EDF estimate on the offered tariff

vickster

Legendary Member
Just looked at EDF… currently £56 :blink:

Attachments

• 1FA43C64-A93C-42B6-8192-D923D1297ECF.png
    1FA43C64-A93C-42B6-8192-D923D1297ECF.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom