Energy bill increases

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
My energy prices are fixed until May, however my energy supplier seems to be one of the small energy suppliers under the spotlight, so currently keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t end up with a huge hike in my gas bill over the next few weeks.

I notice Octopus Energy (mentioned previously in this thread) are one of the energy suppliers who have already confirmed that they are safe.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member

so are the UK paying through the nose for energy here ?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was with Utility Point, and was something like £180 in credit. I had an e-mail from them to say they have ceased trading. I then got an e-mail from "we look after your bills" who said they'll switch me to the best deal as soon as possible but my supply will not be cut off. I just hope that my credit is still transferable to the new supplier (which WLAYB said it would be).
My advice would be to ditch Look After My Bills as soon as possible. My experience is the company is an utter shambles run by a bunch of charlatans. Don't go near them.

PK99

Legendary Member
The usual maxim:

If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is.

Looks very apt for current events.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I was always suspicious about such things, but can you say more?
Yes. LAMB was founded by two partners who took the idea to the Dragon's Den and received funding from two of the dragons. Something like 12 months later the company was bought out by GoCompare in 2019 realising a substantial profit for the founders and the dragons. No problem this is how it works.

I used their Facebook page two years ago when I was looking to switch energy supplier. I went through the process but didn't receive any offers, comparisons etc. until I received an email from an energy company, I forget which one, thanking me for switching to them and confirming my direct debit had been set up. The new cost was significantly higher than the quote I had from elsewhere.

I cancelled the direct debit and the new company happily switched me back to my previous one. LAMB made the switch without contacting me, handed over my bank details without authorisation and provided me with no opportunity to review the offers available to me. I made numerous attempts to contact LAMB all of which resulted in nothing other than a standard response from Customer Services asking if I would like to switch!!!!! I left a few detailed, accurate reviews on their FB page and even this stimulated no response.

LAMB is GoCompare under another name with consequence a business set up to customers switch is doing far from this.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My advice would be to ditch Look After My Bills as soon as possible. My experience is the company is an utter shambles run by a bunch of charlatans. Don't go near them.
That's a shame. I've never had anything but prompt and efficient service from them. I will stick with them for now. The first year I used them, I saved £12/month on the year before. When that came to an end, they said my current supplier was still cheapest so I stayed with them. I've always had an e-mail to say what they are doing, and if I don't want to switch then to contact them and stop it. Granted, had I not wanted to switch and tried to contact them, who knows if I'd have got through. But until they annoy me I will keep letting them do the legwork

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
not sure I’m keen on handing over my bank details for someone to move me around on my behalf ? However I’m sure it works well.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Currently I'm with People's Energy who I find competitive, 100% renewable electricity, good service and ethos. I submit meter readings monthly and the DD varies automatically, up and down, if necessary. We are getting smart meters tomorrow.
So now you're with British Gas, then? Did the bankrupt transfer go OK?

PaulSB

Legendary Member
So now you're with British Gas, then? Did the bankrupt transfer go OK?
To date it has been very smooth. I received an email from BG this morning telling me of the transfer, that I would receive tariff details over the next days, no exit penalties, free to switch later, credit balance is protected.

All very simple and efficient.

JtB

From now on I’m downloading each monthly energy statement so I have evidence of how much energy I’ve used, my payments and my balance (just in case).

Reactions: mjr

JtB

From now on I’m downloading each monthly energy statement so I have evidence of how much energy I’ve used, my payments and my balance (just in case).
I’m glad I downloaded all this year’s energy statements yesterday because my energy supplier (Avro Energy) has just gone bust and their website seems to have disappeared.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
We renewed with Avro just a couple of weeks ago, and I've been waiting daily since then for the announcement that they'd gone under ...

I was with Octopus Energy up until august this year and was happy with them.Very good customer service but when when i got my renewal price they had upped it to forty pounds PM more.
Although Avro Energy had mixed reviews there prices were quite a bit cheaper than Octopus Energy so i went with them.
'Hindsight is a wonderful thing':sad:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
im with E-on...prices fixed for another 12mths, so im good at the moment, maybe by then all these shortages and price increases may have settled or gone away

Top Bottom