Energy Charges - Comparisons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Following on from the other thread, pop your energy prices in here for reference - might help those getting shifted on from a bust supplier.

Scottish Power - On Line Variable

E 23.22 standing, 19.18 p/KWH (increased 2p KWH since 30 September)
G 24.87 standing, 3.850 p/KWH (increased 0.7p KWH since 30 september)

presta

Guru
Shell Energy September 2023 v2
E 22.97/21.941
G 16.79/4.583
Essex area.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Or as Martin Lewis says - just stay where you are because the lowest prices are the standard variables as they are subject to the price cap.
THIS^^^

Martin Lewis was very clear about this and repeated himself about a dozen times on the last program of his I watched. DO NOTHING!
  • If you are outside a fixed rate deal then you will be subject to the ofgen(?) capped rate which is cheaper than anyone's free market rate.
  • If you are moved from a bust supplier then you will be subject to the ofgen(?) capped rate which is cheaper than anyone's free market rate.
  • If you are in a current fixed rate deal then you will likely be beating the ofgen(?) capped rate which is cheaper than anyone's free market rate or currently available fixed rate deals.
So effectively just sit tight whatever your current energy supplier situation. The capped rate is due to be reviewed some time after Christmas (I think he said about 3 months from now?) so until then just wait for the market to hopefully stabilise before doing anything. There is nothing to gain by trying to choose a new supplier yourself at the moment but you will lock yourself into a deal that will not be competitive, even against the capped rate.

DO NOTHING. Gas/energy prices have exceeded the capped rate so I guess the suppliers/govt are taking the hit for the difference this has caused?

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'm just glad i swapped from that small supplier to Scottish Power in July! I know they say that those who take on the customers of those that've gone bust will honour money owed to customers etc, but i'm just glad that the £355 my last supplier owed me is in my bank account and not sat there with all the other monies owed, waiting to be slowly refunded!🧐

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've recently switched to a 2-year fixed deal with Sainsbury's Energy from Igloo:

E 19.21 p/KWH
G 3.77 p/KWH

Looking at some of the numbers above, and the price Igloo was wanting just before they went bust, I've done OK particularly since I got £90 of Nectar points thrown in and £60 for using a cashback site.

The only downside is the £287 Igloo owed me, and said would arrive this week, hasn't so far.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I'm still very annoyed with EDF; I was forced to go with them back in September and I still haven't got a bill to look at. My DD is £52/month, and I got an e-mail advising me to up the DD which I haven't done, because I'm now £324 in credit. I can't even look at my previous monthly readings becasue the website/app is so poor. Luckily I made a note of the reading in September, and have worked out that in 7 months I've been using average of £61/month (based on the tariffs and daily charge which I have access to).

Tried contacting them and the phones are constantly busy. There's an option to Whattsapp them, which I did, and I got an auto response to say they would reply within 46 hours :wacko:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
edf variable
electric 20.31 going up to 27.63
gas 3.987 going up to 7,282

reckon on another £670 a year including the hike in standing charge according to the email they sent me

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
edf variable
electric 20.31 going up to 27.63
gas 3.987 going up to 7,282

reckon on another £670 a year including the hike in standing charge according to the email they sent me

Similar figures with Scottish Power.

We're getting tough on the power use now - the dryer isn't going on unless desperate, and the hot tub is being turned right down and will be 'powered up on a Sunday and Thursday' :laugh: - we used to leave it at the 'required' temperature all the time, but we'll drop it to mid 20's and then on a Sunday/Thursday morning, put the temp up, then make sure we bloody use it. Makes you sleep after !

I've been keeping a weekly log and by just dropping the above it's saving over 10kw a day :ohmy:- I'll check the power daily this week to work out the saving in energy.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
My latest missile from SSE tells me that from April 1st my charges will be
Standing charge per day 50.14p
Standard energy per kwh 32.51p
Heating control energy per kwh 23.89p
All plus VAT of course.

Our transmission charges here of course are sky high but the same energy exported further south has much lower charges.
Tumble drier says off now unless in emergency and going to go back to more coal and less electricity for heating.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Similar figures with Scottish Power.

We're getting tough on the power use now - the dryer isn't going on unless desperate, and the hot tub is being turned right down and will be 'powered up on a Sunday and Thursday' :laugh: - we used to leave it at the 'required' temperature all the time, but we'll drop it to mid 20's and then on a Sunday/Thursday morning, put the temp up, then make sure we bloody use it. Makes you sleep after !

I've been keeping a weekly log and by just dropping the above it's saving over 10kw a day :ohmy:- I'll check the power daily this week to work out the saving in energy.
mrs ck has tv on all day, has been using tumble dryer and likes to be warm, add in kids and i despair

midlife

Guru
I'm just glad summer is around the corner ! Our 1931 house is slowly getting sorted and insulated but have been sleeping in a T shirt and jumper. It's Oil heating and not looking forward to paying for the next 1000 litres to fill the tank .....

Top Bottom