Energy drink for long rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
High 5 or the likes for me too (whatever is cheapest); I think my current stuff is SiS.

Now we seem to be drifting off topic a bit ...

A thing that is worth knowing about is Hyponatremia. This is low blood sodium due to losing a lot of salt through sweat and over-drinking plain water without salts. It can be life threatening.

It's unlikely to be a problem for ordinary people doing ordinary rides in this country but worth knowing about all the same.

I read a frightening account of this from a guy who did a cycling event in the mountains in Europe somewhere on a hot day - a cyclosportive or challenge or some such (I've searched for it and could never find it again). He was fortunate that when he collapsed a medic was present who realised what was going on. He was helicoptered out and his life was in danger for a while.

That's pretty extreme, but having read it I make sure I am taking in some salt/electrolytes and not just plain water or just sweet drinks when doing long rides on hot days. I favour hi 5 (or similar) tabs for this as the concentrations are worked out for you - just stick a tab in a bottle. But if you want to do it on the cheap I'm sure it's possible to work out the concentration required.

https://nyxendurance.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-hyponatremia/

It's also happened at marathons. Possibly down to well meaning people telling runners to remember to drink a lot when it's warm. Very dangerous.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

This could go in the "sometimes I am amazed by my own stupidity" thread.

Years ago, when I was a runner, I filled my water bottle with coke (without first making sure it had gone flat). I put it in my bum-bag style bottle holder and set off. I had gone barely 100 yards before it exploded up my back.
This is the funniest response! Possibly if not reminded i would done the same! 😂

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Orange, lemon & pineapple squash (not too strong) and a pinch of salt.

other squash combos are available
If so, I would suggest that you get the type with sugar in, otherwise you'd be trying to get energy out of Aspartame (other nasty zero calorie chemical sweeteners are available) and that wouldn't be very successful.

If you only want it as a less boring water delivery product, fair enough - drink the chemical version, if you like the taste!

cwskas

Über Member
I don't have near the experience on longer rides as many here do, but I find that drinking at a regular interval rather than waiting until I feel thirsty is essential to my stamina.

I rarely use anything but tap water in my bottles but sometimes drink something with some vitamins and carbs if it is available enroute. I also find that some mineral supplement helps me avoid cramps if taken the night before a ride or after a long ride.

Willie

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Brawndo It's what cyclists crave

4sIL3.gif

I don't have near the experience on longer rides as many here do, but I find that drinking at a regular interval rather than waiting until I feel thirsty is essential to my stamina.

I rarely use anything but tap water in my bottles but sometimes drink something with some vitamins and carbs if it is available enroute. I also find that some mineral supplement helps me avoid cramps if taken the night before a ride or after a long ride.

Willie
What i know about human biology is next to nothing but aren't vitamins pretty irrelevant in this? I had the idea that what's important is fuel to make sure you don't bonk plus stuff to hopefully prevent cramps.

cwskas

Über Member
aren't vitamins pretty irrelevant in this?
I agree, I should have bit a bit more specific.

My chosen refresher (if I drink something besides water) contains no added sugar, B vitamins & electrolytes and it at least seems to help. I didnt post the brand because I am not advertising.

On my first 100 mile ride (self-planned, solo, unsupported and on a very hot and cloudless day) one of my intended rest stops was closed. I ended up using all of my three bottles of water and by the time I got to the next rest stop I was getting dehydrated. I spent 40 minutes sitting in the shade, drinking water and the sports drink and ate a high protein snack. I was able to make the last 10+ miles of the ride then.

Before rides (and sometimes after a longer ride) I have been using a dissolvable tablet that was recommended by my LBS and my mountain-bike racing grandsons which contains sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium & chloride. I am often quite sore afterward, but rarely have any leg cramps during or after riding.

Daninplymouth

I use high5 for some calories although I only use 1 scoop per bottle they recommend 2. Unless it’s going to be really tough then I add a little more and chuck in a scoop of BCAA’s this gets me through anything from 30-50miles at a decent pace with no stops

Top Bottom