Energy saving device - better than oval chainrings?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not as fast as you would have been with these incredibly efficient cranks... :whistle:

1708557471781.png

Windle

Über Member
Cycling gadget snake oil.

No, the snake oil is what you need to lubricate them with or they won't work properly.

OP
OP
F

Fastpedaller

Well, oval chain rings have done the rounds at least twice. It's all about super short cranks in the MTB world now. Suckers. :whistle:

How long is super short? I can see that offroad shorter cranks could lead to less chance of pedal strikes. As to efficiency they raise the effort (shorter lever) but the difference can be negated by the gearing - shorter cranks also lead to faster pedalling and I think any tests have been pretty inconclusive re efficiency. I used to ride 12 hr time trials on fixed wheel with 150mm cranks - They felt strange at first compared with 170mm, but after a few miles I didn't notice. Going back to 170's felt equally strange at first (it felt like my feet were going a long way!). I now ride 165 on all my bikes (except the Brompton) and feel it's a good compromise. Taken to extremes,,, 50mm cranks would be impossible to turn, and 300mm cranks also (as they'd hit the ground :laugh: ). For all of us somewhere between those extremes is ideal.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Most likely total rubbish but it does change the biomechanics of the crank in a subtle way; effectively reducing crank length at TDC and BDC so I guess works like oval chainrings. Which the jury remains resolutely out on despite them having been around for ages..

Top Bottom