Stronglight Chainrings – any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cool_hand

Über Member
As per title.

Have used TA Zephr Compact 50/34 110 BCD for the past 3 years which replaced whatever was stock on my Truativ Touro crankset.

Have been happy with TA Zephyr but price has basically doubled in that time so thought I should consider something else - FSA / Stronglight / Shimano?

Should I pay a premium for the TA Zephyr or - will I notice any difference in performance?

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have used stronglight for many years when my normal chain rings need replacing

Sharky

Guru
I've used all of the above and some others. Once on the bike, the difference is minimal and hard to distinguish.

Three years, isn't a long time. I'm surprised they need replacing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Three years, isn't a long time. I'm surprised they need replacing.

Guess it depends how many miles done and in what conditions?
I think I had the SRAM big ring replaced on my most used bike after around 8000 miles, I rarely use the little ring

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
Correction, 4 years. Inner ring looks fine but outer does look worn – whether it's enough to effect performance I have no idea! There isn't a tool for measuring wear so I assume you make the decision based on visual inspection. Cassette was changed last year - not really looked at it. Chain needs replacing so I thought it might be a good time to replace the rings.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Correction, 4 years. Inner ring looks fine but outer does look worn – whether it's enough to effect performance I have no idea! There isn't a tool for measuring wear so I assume you make the decision based on visual inspection. Cassette was changed last year - not really looked at it. Chain needs replacing so I thought it might be a good time to replace the rings.

I think the rule of thumb is: if it slips when (or before of course) you replace the chain, change it. If not, don't bother.

OP
OP
cool_hand

cool_hand

Über Member
May be worth you checking out Spa's own branded chainrings. They're quality and very keenly priced.
Thanks. They look good, appear to be similar quality to Specialites TA – they're the same price though, £62 for a 50/34 combo.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks. They look good, appear to be similar quality to Specialites TA – they're the same price though, £62 for a 50/34 combo.

I run two bikes with their chainsets and for what it's worth can confirm they are quality

Punkawallah

Über Member
Stronglight have a history, used On Dawes etc decades ago. I’ve used Spa and Stronglight, they performed equally well. Don’t know about when it comes to durability, or changing rings. I’d expect there are too many variables to make a useful comparison.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
There are two types of Stronglight chainrings you can get:
Dural (5056)
Zicral (7075 T6)

Zicral is the same as TA, so the only differences are machining and cost.

Dural is noticeably faster wearing, but cheaper. IME it comes out roughly even on a cost/mile basis.

Spa Cycles also sell own brand Zicral chainrings, which are cheaper than the Stronglight Zicral.
These are what I use these days. The only difference I've noticed is that Stronglight outers have a screw-in drop pin that can go either between chainring bolts, or level with a bolt, for use with those chainsets that have one of the bolts hidden behind the crank arm, but the Spa outers have the pin fixed between bolts

Last edited:
Top Bottom