Energy drink for long rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Just wondering - does anyone take energy drinks during long rides? Instead of just water or juice or mineral salts. If yes - then any recos ?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Coke. :thumbsup:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I largely get by on DIY energy drinks - 1/3 OJ for flavour and fructose, 2/3 water, plus 2 heaped scoops of maltodextrin powder per 3/4 litre bottle. Approximately 1 bottle for every 50 km/30-odd miles ridden. On longer rides (80+ km/50+ miles) I would add one or 2 Cokes and whatever food I fancied at cafe/shop stops.
I sometimes add a small pinch of salt on hot days, and squeeze some lemon juice in for extra flavour.

I buy the maltodextrin from Bulk Powders. A 5kg bag lasts for ages and only costs about £10.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just finished LeJoG in 11 days, so average about 90 miles a day with a few 100 mile days thrown in. Only drank tap water when on the bike, then the usual assortment of coffees, coca-colas, ciders and sauvignon during meal stops. Never use 'energy' drinks as these are IMO just snake oil and no substitute for proper food and adequate hydration, unless at the very top of performance cycling, where you just do what your coach/trainer/dietician tells you to do.

If you really don't like plain water then maybe flavour it with some cordial or fruit juice, but otherwise just water is exactly what your body needs.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've used powders in the past, I can't say they had any noticeable impact. The important thing is to drink plenty. I've seen too many people in trouble because they haven't had sufficient water. I add some cordial to mine to disguise the faint "plasticy" taste from a bottle.

I fuel properly before any ride. After riding 60 miles I need to eat to avoid health related problems. I'm epileptic and not eating is a trigger.

On a long or hard day I will put sandwiches, pork pie etc in my pocket to nibble as needed.

There's no magic potion which is a substitute for real food.

yello

Horses for courses and how long is "long".

Energy drinks have their place, particularly if you're pushing yourself (sportives, whatever) but are obviously not necessary for a 'round the block' pootle. I'm assuming you're asking about rides somewhere between the 2 but maybe closer to the latter?

I rarely rode sportives (but I did enjoy the maybe 8 or 10 I did) My riding was mainly morning rides of up to 50km, weekly rides of around 100km, and periodic longer/audax rides. I tended to average around 20kph, ride length and terrain dependant. Water served me just fine (with food in pockets for longer rides) for such rides. Maybe a pinch of salt added if it was going to be a hot day.

I've tried energy drinks but I don't get on with them. I find the taste, if only minimal, becomes too much/samey after a while and actually discourages me to drink. And that's a problem because hydration is important, you don't want to be discouraging that!

IMHO, most of us mere mortals, for the kind of riding we do, don't need energy drinks. Hydration, on the other hand, we do. But there's no law against them, and if you want to give them a try then do so, I'm certainly not going to be critical. In fact, it's probably the best way for you to answer your question - give them a go. It is, after all, what I did - I've only reached my conclusion by finding out for myself!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I make up a bottle of High5 Energy Source (tropical flavour) to take with me on longer rides. Not sure if it helps, it seems to and maybe that's half the battle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

The drink of all drinks 😜 i have never tried that. Actually i dont drink coke or fizzy drinks - other than as a mixer! May be not ideal for a ride

Venod

Eh up
I lose a look of sweat when its warm, which can result in cramping later in the ride, High 5 or similar tabs help avoid this, I did a 4 hour MTB event on Saturday, I drank a bottle before the start, 2 litre from the backpack while riding and another bottle at the finish, I got cramp once when I stopped, but was fine later, we went to the pub and it was ages before I needed the toilet, I also ate a Granola square a packet of Jelly Babies and I gel.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I lose a look of sweat when its warm, which can result in cramping later in the ride, High 5 or similar tabs help avoid this, I did a 4 hour MTB event on Saturday, I drank a bottle before the start, 2 litre from the backpack while riding and another bottle at the finish, I got cramp once when I stopped, but was fine later, we went to the pub and it was ages before I needed the toilet, I also ate a Granola square a packet of Jelly Babies and I gel.
I do carry the cereal bars and eat one usually after 15 miles or so . Somehow i find it difficult to eat before i start. Maybe thats something i have to correct

Top Bottom