Energy drinks, bars, gels etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Dont forget they do different things to energy drinks. These tablets are calorie free, so youll still need to supplement them with some kind of calorie intake

From this thread, I was thinking of Jelly Babies, Bananas and those drinks.

Nosaj

From this thread, I was thinking of Jelly Babies, Bananas and those drinks.

Jazloc,

What may work for one may not work for another. You have a load of suggestions above so try not to be too rigid in what you apply. Bananas for example are high GI when mature and lower GI when greenish thus they will release their energy in slightly different ways. A Brown banana is more sugary so has a faster release of sugary energy as opposed to a green one which will release energy slighty slower but not as slow as say porridge.

For me I have porridge (slow releasing energy) or muesli with yoghurt, a sis carb drink before I go out. If I am going long or particulalrly hard I will take another bottle of sis carb drink, a bottle of water and a cereal type bar or an energy bar or two this is normally more than enough (probably a bit too much) to go 40-45 odd miles hard or 60-70 ish easy. I also use HI5 Tabs for hydrations which are similar to the Nunns.

It will take a while but work out what works for you - experiment. I can't really tell much of a difference if I take a gel or an energy bar but the sis carb drink does gives me a good boost. I am also not entirely sure if the HI 5 tabs give me anything more than just plain old water.

D

Deleted member 20519

Jazloc,

What may work for one may not work for another. You have a load of suggestions above so try not to be too rigid in what you apply. Bananas for example are high GI when mature and lower GI when greenish thus they will release their energy in slightly different ways. A Brown banana is more sugary so has a faster release of sugary energy as opposed to a green one which will release energy slighty slower but not as slow as say porridge.

For me I have porridge (slow releasing energy) or muesli with yoghurt, a sis carb drink before I go out. If I am going long or particulalrly hard I will take another bottle of sis carb drink, a bottle of water and a cereal type bar or an energy bar or two this is normally more than enough (probably a bit too much) to go 40-45 odd miles hard or 60-70 ish easy. I also use HI5 Tabs for hydrations which are similar to the Nunns.

It will take a while but work out what works for you - experiment. I can't really tell much of a difference if I take a gel or an energy bar but the sis carb drink does gives me a good boost. I am also not entirely sure if the HI 5 tabs give me anything more than just plain old water.

The ride's in around ten days so I'll try some different things and see what works for me. Thanks for the reply as well, really useful :thumbsup:

Jester38

After reading this post some of you guys might want to watch BBC's Panarama program last week ( on iPlayer) as it went in depth regarding energy drinks. Last night on the One Show the explained, again in depth why salt plays an important part in keeping you hydrated. There advise is to only drink small amounts of water when you feel thirsty and not to drink too much as this can cause problems. Great forum guys

D

Deleted member 20519

After reading this post some of you guys might want to watch BBC's Panarama program last week ( on iPlayer) as it went in depth regarding energy drinks. Last night on the One Show the explained, again in depth why salt plays an important part in keeping you hydrated. There advise is to only drink small amounts of water when you feel thirsty and not to drink too much as this can cause problems. Great forum guys

Thanks for that, I'll take a look now. Here's the link for others: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01l1yxk/Panorama_The_Truth_About_Sports_Products/

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Ok. The program was NOT about endurance sports,it was not aimed at endurance sports. It was aimed at the 30minute twice a week treadmill walkers. These people DO NOT need sports drinks.

It did not go in depth regarding energy drinks. It skirted over the subject and only a tiny sentence worth of relation to endurance sport (cycling,running,swimming, blah blah)

I really wish people would stop touting the information given in the program as fact. Give it the context it needs before you try to be factual.

-----------

The boys in this thread have said nothing that I wouldn't have. TBH I don't particularly bullshit around when it comes to this kinda stuff.

zacklaws

Guru
Lovely, I'll order some of the Orange ones. One table per 500ml so it'll do 12 bottles for £5? Cheaper than energy drinks.

Nuun tablets are a complete rip off and if you look at what the ingredients are and the amounts used, you can source the ingredients in 100grm quantities and with a decent set of scales make up batches of the powder itself to make ridiculous amounts of the tablets, I think it worked out at about £10 to make up the equvalent of 600 tablets at a time for me (10p for 6 tablets) and just weigh out the required amount equivalent to a tablet to put in each waterbottle along with some cordial and maltodextrose, fructose etc. Plus most people use 750ml bottles so you need a tablet and a half per bottle, so it works out that they are not cheap when you can use them up in 8 bottles.

ushills

Veteran
Myprotein.com does large bulk powders for Tri-carbs and electrolyte.

Good value but go for the un flavoured.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Fuel well before your ride. I find porridge oats either as porridge or soaked in milk are a great base. Everyone is different but starting with this lets me ride a fast 50 with just a drink, any longer and I am looking to fuel on the ride, like many others I find bannanas are good, and I will eat malt loaf or fig rolls as well even jelly babies for a sugary fix. I have used gels and carb drinks which play their part but they are not a holy grail which will see you sprinting up the next hill, they are just one way of getting fuel into the system.

Top Bottom