Energy supply, feed in tariff and changing suppliers!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can anyone give advice on the implications of feed in tariffs and changing suppliers?

We bought a house with solar panels installed under the old scheme where half the potential generation is paid back to the owner as feed in tariffs no matter how much we actually feed into the grid. The late gentleman who owned and got them installed was with British gas for electricity and gas and FiT. We just changed over to us without changing supplier.

Now, in these difficult times, I'm wondering if we could be better off changing supplier. We like the idea of dual fuel suppliers for gas and electricity but changing for that will we have issues changing the FiT payments over too? I assume they go with the electricity supplier not stay with BG? Also, could I lose the payments under that scheme and get put onto the later, less favourable scheme? Are there less suppliers that make FiT payments than supply?

I really haven't been a switching type, they must love me. Although I did switch to sky from BT with phone and broad after I got switched from £25 per month to £185 per month by BT. When I got that letter I called sky and changed within the day. £160 increase per month not per year is a big incentiviser to switch I can tell you!

Anyway, I could do with advice from anyone who has some advice on solar power schemes and dual fuel suppliers.

chris-suffolk

Can anyone give advice on the implications of feed in tariffs and changing suppliers?

We bought a house with solar panels installed under the old scheme where half the potential generation is paid back to the owner as feed in tariffs no matter how much we actually feed into the grid. The late gentleman who owned and got them installed was with British gas for electricity and gas and FiT. We just changed over to us without changing supplier.

Now, in these difficult times, I'm wondering if we could be better off changing supplier. We like the idea of dual fuel suppliers for gas and electricity but changing for that will we have issues changing the FiT payments over too? I assume they go with the electricity supplier not stay with BG? Also, could I lose the payments under that scheme and get put onto the later, less favourable scheme? Are there less suppliers that make FiT payments than supply?

I really haven't been a switching type, they must love me. Although I did switch to sky from BT with phone and broad after I got switched from £25 per month to £185 per month by BT. When I got that letter I called sky and changed within the day. £160 increase per month not per year is a big incentiviser to switch I can tell you!

Anyway, I could do with advice from anyone who has some advice on solar power schemes and dual fuel suppliers.

I used to be with SSE, and switched Elec and Gas to Octopus some time back. Our Solar - on the FIT scheme - has just stayed with SSE. So far as I recall, the big suppliers (of which BG is clearly one) have to take FIT contracts, whether you get Elec / Gas from them or not. So, you should just be able to leave it where it is, so long as you're happy with them paying you and you not paying them.

Top Bottom