engine oil types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfdude

Veteran
looking for engine oil for my vw golf . in halfords its £21.99 for a citroen and £42.99 for a vw . oil type is fully synthetic 5/30 . does anyone know if there is any differance in these two oils or is it a con because vw cost more to buy .

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
beware as recent vw's are quite fussy on oil ,

what model and age of vehicle ?

petrol or diesel ?

gbb

Legendary Member
I'll watch this with interest. 5w30 in mine but I see they do one for Fords, one for Vauxhalls etc wtc. As if it wasnt already complicated enough with synthetics / semi synthetics.

Sandra6

Veteran
Yes there is a difference, its to do with the chemical and physical makeup of the oil. Different manufacturers test their cars with varying grades of oil, the listing system somewhere like Halfords matches the oil according to the companies recommendation.
Its not a con to make you spend more. But some may say I'm biased

ClassicLime

They may have different additives in for anti-corrosion / stabilisers / disperants etc.

Check the owners doc in your car along with the viscosity (5w30) it should state an API or ACEA code. If it was my car and the cheap bottle lists the same code as my car I would go for it. But it's up to you. If it does have the right API/ACEA code the extra cost may be for VW spec approval stamp.

This explains the ratings http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Oil_Labelling_Explained
From my time working at a petrol station the majority of people only check it's the correct viscosity, which is probably the most important specification but I like to get the right stuff. Modern cars are becoming more fussy when it comes to oil requirements.

midlife

Guru
Drop a line to Opie Oils and he will advise you on what oil to use and supply it as cheap as anywhere.

Shaun

snorri

Legendary Member
:eek:Jeez, you saying we still have to put oil in car engines?

Levo-Lon

Guru
I used to put halfords synthetic oil in my bikes which were very powerful high reving engines.
its good oil for the money.and made by a good supply company,'frgot who makes it' but the halfords oil quality has been done to death on bike forums.
your golf is old and a petrol so id have no prob with the hafords oil.just check spec is ok on tub matches the hand book haynes etc

Broadside

Guru
looking for engine oil for my vw golf . in halfords its £21.99 for a citroen and £42.99 for a vw . oil type is fully synthetic 5/30 . does anyone know if there is any differance in these two oils or is it a con because vw cost more to buy .
Go to Unipart, it will be cheaper than Halfords. I always buy oil from Unipart when I change the oil on my car, it is all to the same spec (mineral/synthetic, SAE etc.) but there is a big difference in cost :-)

Top Bottom