Engine Oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
A question for the engineers out there.

I've unearthed some car engine oil in the garage (it's clearing out time) but I can't remember the last time I put oil in a car engine. Those things seem to be so reliable these days. One can of oil has 20/50 on it (even I know that's a grade) while the other one says Duckhams (a brand I believe). Being a tight old Bu**er I'd like to use this oil. Now I could spend many years painting it on my winter bike chains as required or could I use it in a two stroke in place of the two stroke oil? That way I'd use it productively during various powered gardening activities and get it gone a bit quicker.

So what do you peeps think (about the two stroke application :wacko:)?

Levo-Lon

Guru
2 stroke oil is oil for 2 strokes. Dont use multigrade 20/50

use it on your chain or you can simply take it to your local council waste as they will have a oil dump.
chances are your car will be 10w now or 5w and synthetic

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If you put it in a 2 stroke engine you will be forever 'oiling up' the sparkplug, just use it for general oiling jobs and chain lube, unless you know someone who runs an old banger a 'classic car' like an old Viva or Cortina/Capri.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I use my old oils for chain lube, and keep a separate bottle of 2 stroke oil for the chainsaw etc

Yes I have not topped up my oil in my engine for years now. I do tend to run cars on what used to be considered high miles too.

Oil now is so thin I am sure it would have just run out of the gaps in a 70s engine.

Things are just made amazingly well now. My engine has done 125k and I have the service record. it has never had a spanner on it in that time. It does actually need a glow plug (diesel engine). its first job in 9 years.

In the 60s my parents had brand new car. It needed a new engine at 70k and was scrapped at 95k when it was about 8 years old as it had gone too rusty.

gbb

Legendary Member
Oil stored poorly over time will absorb moisture so it's probably best not to use it anywhere near an engine, 2 stroke or otherwise.
Itd be easy to say its not suitable for 2 strokes but actually I dont know, but ive never heard of it done and wouldnt risk it.
As far as bike chains, I used to use engine oil, its perfectly ok but messy as you get a lot of oil flick, makes a right mess of your rims..despite however much excess I used to wipe off the chain.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
ideal for painting on wooden fences

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
As far as bike chains, I used to use engine oil, its perfectly ok but messy as you get a lot of oil flick, makes a right mess of your rims..despite however much excess I used to wipe off the chain.

Full chain guard... :whistle: they are great and some are quite pretty too ^_^

upload_2015-2-23_20-56-53.jpeg

if a little rusty over time....

5540390204_b305edfc38.jpg

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Crikey - stuff has moved on in the world of oil :ohmy:. Without all the knowledgeable peeps on here I might have been tempted to top up the car with it :blush:.

It also reveals just how long stuff hangs about in my garage. Seems the clear out isn't before time :rolleyes:.

I'm out of two stroke oil so I'd better get the correct stuff in :okay:.

BTW @User14044 - you could have it for oiling up before your wrestling bouts with @Speicher :laugh:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Crikey - stuff has moved on in the world of oil :ohmy:. Without all the knowledgeable peeps on here I might have been tempted to top up the car with it :blush:.

It also reveals just how long stuff hangs about in my garage. Seems the clear out isn't before time :rolleyes:.

I'm out of two stroke oil so I'd better get the correct stuff in :okay:.

BTW @User14044 - you could have it for oiling up before your wrestling bouts with @Speicher :laugh:

I think you'll find Speicher prefers GT85 :tongue:

Top Bottom