Engine warning light.......any ideas ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I have a 65 plate Astra, petrol auto. Very low mileage (less than 10K).
It gets a regular service as required.
Today a warning light came on. Its a sort of oblong and the colour is orange.
Mr Google seems to indicate it could be emissions/catalytic convertor.
I feel a trip to my local garage coming on but just wonder if this is familiar to anyone ?
If so, does it sound expensive :ohmy:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Not the same model of car, but, with a 66 plate Captur diesel, low mileage (14k), I had similar thing. Dealer advice was, provided light doesn't show red, ok to drive car. I took it into dealer and they reset something (don't know what), been OK since. Good luck.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Invest in an ODBC II reader, and Torque app - it will tell you what's wrong, and allow you to reset it. If it keeps lighting, then that's a definate fault. Cost less than £25.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Invest in an ODBC II reader, and Torque app - it will tell you what's wrong, and allow you to reset it. If it keeps lighting, then that's a definate fault. Cost less than £25.

Fossyant......thanks but that is a foreign language to me. You are speaking to Mr Bean here ^_^

All uphill

Still rolling along
Our secondhand Volvo did this immediately after we bought it; a run up the motorway at 4k revs in fourth gear for 20 miles, turn off then restart fixed it.

We've since covered 50k miles in it without the problem reappearing.

I think it was a result of the car being unused for a few months.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fossyant......thanks but that is a foreign language to me. You are speaking to Mr Bean here ^_^

You can buy a doodah that plugs into your port on the car to read errors. It's the best way not to get fleased by the Dealer who will charge a fair amount just to read the codes.

Your other option is to 'drive' the car 3 times - i.e. pop out, stop, turn engine off, then drive again. If the fault isn't repeated in 3 drives, it usually clears. It literally could be anything, either serious or not.

Do you have a friendly garage who will read it for you without charging a fortune.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
You can buy a doodah that plugs into your port on the car to read errors. It's the best way not to get fleased by the Dealer who will charge a fair amount just to read the codes.

Your other option is to 'drive' the car 3 times - i.e. pop out, stop, turn engine off, then drive again. If the fault isn't repeated in 3 drives, it usually clears. It literally could be anything, either serious or not.

Do you have a friendly garage who will read it for you without charging a fortune.

Thanks.
I have a friendly garage that does my servicing etc so hopefully they can help.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Does it do a lot of slow traffic miles or short trips so it doesn't warm up? Sometimes a good thrash can clear sooty deposits on the sensors and perform a miracle cure. An "Italian tune up" as they used to call it.

Yes, mainly short low speed journeys. I will give it a blast then. Thanks.

JB052

If its mainly short, low speed journeys, I would also take a look inside the breather (where you add oil if needed) cap and see if there is any sign of oil/water emulsion starting to build up restricting the engines breathing. As other have indicated a good brisk run (my garage calls it an Italian Tune Up) would also be beneficial.

Jody

Stubborn git
Thanks.
I have a friendly garage that does my servicing etc so hopefully they can help.

Could be almost anything. Get it read if your garage is helpful and see where you go.

Ask them for the error codes that have been stored

Et voila. :okay:

1661182684744.png

Top Bottom