England vs New Zealand - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Ar*e. Or should that be 'yipeee'..... as a pommie-kiwi, I'm never quite sure.

Edit: yes, I find Boycott just a tad irritating too.

OP
OP
psmiffy
and then when Root gets out he goes from praising England's batting to declaring instant doom.

I think what he actually said was

The thing for England is that it is actually 98-4. Another batsmen gets out now and it will be interesting evening session."

hardly instant doom ^_^

OP
OP
psmiffy
England 523 for 6 – lead by 295 runs

TBH not the outcome that seemed to be on the cards when Bell was out to the third ball yesterday morning – But Cook did what Cook does best and accumulated yet another big Century – Root whilst not as fluent or as comfortable as usual injected pace into the inning before being out for 84 – Then Stokes – a relatively quiet start against the old ball – a devastating attack on the new ball – characterised by a couple of overs bumper/hooking competition with Southee - 100 in 85 balls

Trouble it is not a dead cert winning positon – Today I would have sympathy with the conservative approach – having got out of a very big hole to lose would be unforgivable – it is not many months ago we saw New Zealand making 300 in 40 odd overs against a good Saffer team – Englands bowling is not really up to taking 10 wickets in a day and with the overall run rate in this test at nearly 4/over an aggressive approach might be deemed to be suicide – It would make for a very interesting final day tho ^_^

yello

I was only 'watching' on the beeb website but it was an absorbing days cricket, seemingly played in the right spirit. In fact, it's been an excellent match, each side having good sessions in turn and swinging the match towards them. I'd agree with Michael Vaughan when he said that it's a shame it's only a 2 test series. These sides are pretty evenly balanced and it's making for goog competition.

This game could go either way and, tbh. I don't foresee a declaration at all (unless someone stays put and posts a big score). I agree with psmiffy, NZ are very capable of getting runs quickly, so I think we'll see England play it safe and bat until all-out and then hope they have enough of a lead to defend...hoping that NZ will play in their usual positive way and be skittled in a run chase.

Bet I'm wrong but I'm hoping for a good day's cricket whatever the outcome.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
England 523 for 6 – lead by 295 runs

TBH not the outcome that seemed to be on the cards when Bell was out to the third ball yesterday morning – But Cook did what Cook does best and accumulated yet another big Century – Root whilst not as fluent or as comfortable as usual injected pace into the inning before being out for 84 – Then Stokes – a relatively quiet start against the old ball – a devastating attack on the new ball – characterised by a couple of overs bumper/hooking competition with Southee - 100 in 85 balls

Trouble it is not a dead cert winning positon – Today I would have sympathy with the conservative approach – having got out of a very big hole to lose would be unforgivable – it is not many months ago we saw New Zealand making 300 in 40 odd overs against a good Saffer team – Englands bowling is not really up to taking 10 wickets in a day and with the overall run rate in this test at nearly 4/over an aggressive approach might be deemed to be suicide – It would make for a very interesting final day tho ^_^

Agreed. I fear England may ultimately regret the aggressive approach taken on Sunday. I doubt very much they can force a win by scoring a fast 125 and inserting NZ. The balance between NZ batting and England bowling suggests they will easily bat out two sessions.
The obvious danger is we're all out with a lead of 350 with maybe 75 overs to play. NZ would definitely fancy that. Although I love aggressive cricket I think we should have batted much more conservatively on Sunday to make sure we got to lunch on Monday

OP
OP
psmiffy
Agreed. I fear England may ultimately regret the aggressive approach taken on Sunday. I doubt very much they can force a win by scoring a fast 125 and inserting NZ. The balance between NZ batting and England bowling suggests they will easily bat out two sessions.
The obvious danger is we're all out with a lead of 350 with maybe 75 overs to play. NZ would definitely fancy that. Although I love aggressive cricket I think we should have batted much more conservatively on Sunday to make sure we got to lunch on Monday

Consensus on TMS and other media seems to be that England should go for it and if it all goes tits up they will be forgiven :whistle: (assuming that they don't make a complete hash of it) ^_^

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Agree with the above sentiments. It's a tricky formula. Unless NZ go for it in a lunatic way we have no chance of taking 10 wickets in a couple of sessions so I think they have to virtually kill the game. Sadly.

Top Bottom