England vs New Zealand - Spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Team has been announced - Essentially the same as in the last debacle - but Lythe gets to bat and Mark Wood of Durham is included as an extra pace man - perm any out of Wood, Stokes and Jordan

England squad for first Test v New Zealand: Alastair Cook (Essex, capt), Adam Lyth, Gary Ballance (both Yorskhire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Moeen Ali (Worcestershire), Ben Stokes (Durham), Jos Buttler (Lancashire, wk), Chris Jordan (Sussex), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), James Anderson (Lancashire), Mark Wood (Durham).

AndyRM

XOXO
What no room for old Mrs Boycott, the Boycott daughter and her hockey team or the rhubarb? We are doomed :eek:

They got lost in the corridor of uncertainty.

Wafer

Veteran
Poor Moeen, going to be expected to play as main spinner in may...
Other than that it should be a decent team. 7 of that 12 are relatively new to the international scene but isn't that partly what people have been asking for?

OP
OP
psmiffy
Maybe, but Southee skittled us last time we played.

Hopefully he will be Jet Lagged ^_^

In the small print is that Paul Fabrace will be the "Coach" - of whom I know little about apart from he was successful as Sri Lankan coach for the 2014 T20 WC - maybe we will see how much of Cooke was Moores and how much of Cooke is Cooke.

OP
OP
psmiffy
It is Thursday - It is Lords - It is the First Test - KP has toddled off back to India - the backbone of the Kiwi side has managed to get to England from India

Kiwis win the toss - England to bat on what sounds like a relatively green pitch - Lyth is in with Mark Wood making up the pace attack at the expense of Jordan

U

User482

Well, that could've started better. What was I saying about NZ bowlers suiting English conditions?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Perfect storm
Swinging conditions, excellent bowlers to take advantage of the conditions, batsmen on debut or not showing much form

Luckily I'm out this afternoon to watch son's school take on MCC. Can't imagine this is going to be pretty unless Root/Stokes can really dig in

OP
OP
psmiffy
Lunch – England 113-4, having been 30-4, good bowling by the Kiwis early on with the ball swinging a bit but they seem to have gone off the boil in the face of some positive batting by Root and Stokes

Wafer

Veteran
This is what gets me when people moan about the team selected, someone fails and they say someone else should've been picked. Absolutely no guarantees they'd do any better and here we go, Lyth comes in, facing some good bowling in useful conditions and fails..... probably still blame it on Trott....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
This is what gets me when people moan about the team selected, someone fails and they say someone else should've been picked. Absolutely no guarantees they'd do any better and here we go, Lyth comes in, facing some good bowling in useful conditions and fails..... probably still blame it on Trott....
Blimey, give Lyth a chance! Trott chose to retire from Test cricket after admitting his fallibility these days.

Top Bottom