Englands Nurburgring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So have they ever organised cycle races on it?

D

Deleted member 26715

What's the speed limit 30mph!!
Yes, apart from racedays, it didn't used to be though sure it used to be National limit, been a few years since I went around.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do rather enjoy John's videos - there's another one on his channel where he drives around an long-abadoned F1 circuit on Dartmoor or somewhere. I've even watched all the 'Secrets of the Motorway' videos and every motorway service station... I should probably get out more :smile:

Jameshow

Veteran
I do rather enjoy John's videos - there's another one on his channel where he drives around an long-abadoned F1 circuit on Dartmoor or somewhere. I've even watched all the 'Secrets of the Motorway' videos and every motorway service station... I should probably get out more :smile:

Davidstow north west Cornwall.

CXRAndy

Guru
That title is already well deservedly taken by Cadwell Park

Fantastic circuit Caldwell, I've done a few motorcycle track days there.

Also a great circuit to watch live racing, you can see several parts of the circuit from pretty much any vantage point

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Son no. 2's raced there a couple of times in U16 and a 2/3/4 and I've had a ride round but never raced on it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Davidstow north west Cornwall.
Having ridden most of Davidstow's runways and perimeter roads (we had friends who lived in a cottage only accessed from halfway up one runway) I can see it could be used (in post-WWII state) for motor racing. The 12-30 runway is (or was) kept just good enough for 'emergency use' by Hercules (or successor) till at least the turn of the century, aiui.

View: https://youtu.be/tyx7ACFDgz4
(used for racing '52-'55)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I lived just down the coast from Olivers Mount and used to go and watch the motorbike races. I remember going round the course on my Honda 50.

I have also been round the Nurburging when I was stationed there in the army.

Comparing the two is as big a stretch as you can get. But they are both excellent in their own ways. Olivers Mount is quaint and countryfied. Imagine the Brooklands car racing scenes in Downton Abbey. The Nurburgring is the real deal. It massive, rolls everywhere and hemmed in by trees. Jackie Stewart called it the Green hell.

Jameshow

Veteran
Having ridden most of Davidstow's runways and perimeter roads (we had friends who lived in a cottage only accessed from halfway up one runway) I can see it could be used (in post-WWII state) for motor racing. The 12-30 runway is (or was) kept just good enough for 'emergency use' by Hercules (or successor) till at least the turn of the century, aiui.

View: https://youtu.be/tyx7ACFDgz4
(used for racing '52-'55)

I rode across it on my lejog.

Happy days!!

CXRAndy

Guru
I have also been round the Nurburging when I was stationed there in the army.

I've been around the Nurburg. We were on a motorcycle tour and thought it would be a laugh to do a lap. Off came the panniers, away we went. Absolutely frightening, being overtaken regularly by fast cars and the shame a pizza delivery rider on a MZ350. 😳

I was riding an FJR1300. I had no prior knowledge of the circuit, blind crests and the knowledge I had to ride home from Germany afterwards 😁

Top Bottom