English speaking countries for cycle touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
You may have hit the enter key 3 times whilst wondering why nothing was happening ^_^
Bloody technology....now where's my pen and paper !!!!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Scotland?
Though it can be tricky to understand their 'English' :laugh:

Grrrrr!

You're right though, Scotland is a stunningly beautiful country for a cycle tour. What's more, you'll find that (particularly in the more remote, scenic areas) many of the shopkeepers, hoteliers, even postmen, are English so you're bound to encounter a familiar accent at some point. I recommend the west coast and/or the islands.

I'll maybe post some photos of the scenery up here to tempt you.

GC

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
From what I've seen, British Columbia, Canada, looks like a pretty safe bet. Very friendly locals and great scenery. Take some CS gas cannisters for the bears though....

Brains

Legendary Member
If you want to go 'foreign' but have to speak English then there is always Ireland or Holland. The chances of meeting a local who does not speak fluent English in either country is remote.

toroddf

So maybe summer months, it looks like UK - Scotland and Wales I'm thinking. .

Have a peek at my signature link. I would suggest Western Isles, Mull, Skye and that area. Stunning beyond word.... = no language skills. Just your jaw dropping to the floor.

Sadly, although I live here, I can't recommend the US. It's a vast wasteland compared to England in terms of history and culture. And there are precious few pubs or inexpensive places to stay. And the food is awful - I've been here 23 years and I've yet to find a good restaurant - and forget finding food that satisfies the craving for what we get at home - no good Indian restaurants and forget fish and chips.

I'd stick with Blighty (if I had the choice)
If you haven't found a decent restaurant then you haven't looked, New York has a couple and they're are generally a lot cheaper than their London or French cousins.

I agree that a tour of the whole of the US wouldn't be that great of a drip.

Northern California though would be great, the coast road, the wine country and people are generally nice and some of the motels are cheap. Cycling through some of the red wood forests would be amazing.

We've hoildayed in Holland a bit. Not cycled toured but took the bikes with us. It's effectively an english speaking country and is a pleasant place to be on a bike.

rollinstok

I definitely go along with the idea of trying to converse in the native language
A phrase book is small and cheap, the rewards will be the respect and help given to you by the locals for at least trying
A little goes a long way
Even if struggling to pronounce a phrase correctly its easy to show the person your phrase book
By a mish-mash of basic phrases and sign language, I have never struggled to find anything I needed. You will learn something in the process and come home with much more a sense of achievement

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Thanks all. Some good ideas and comment there.

I also like the idea of a northern European tour. As is mentioned, there is less of a language barrier in many of the countries and I also enjoy the boat trip transport at either end to avoid the flight and boxing of the bike hassles.

Durian

Über Member
New Zealand is stunning, especially the south island. Around every corner it's seemingly another breathtaking view of the mountains and crystal clear streams and rivers. I'm amazed the Kiwi's even bother to leave their country as to me it's the most beautiful place on Earth.

Western side of Canada is pretty good too!

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Not all of them do. I found several campsites in Bavaria where English was not spoken by the site owners.
Oh you are mxing with the wrong kind then ! I have been through Germany loads of times and the buggers know our language too well ! Cannot even mention 1966 without a reaction !

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Not all of them do. I found several campsites in Bavaria where English was not spoken by the site owners.
Bavaria isn't Germany. It's Bavaria. They drink beer, not wine, out of very large glasses, and fly a comical blue and white chequer-board flag rather than a sober tricolour.

I'd recommend northern Scotland - anywhere north and west of Inverness and Glasgow. Underpopulated, mostly decently quiet roads (as long as you avoid a couple of obvious exceptions), and the scenery is so different from England that it might as well be abroad.

Top Bottom