Enigma Etape -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Van Nick

I'm considering purchasing an Enigma Etape, and wondered if anyone with experience of this model could be answer the following:-

1). How does the handling and acceleration compare to a "full on" road bike ?

2). How does the weight compare to a "full on" road bike ?

3). Is the riding position a lot more "sit up and beg" (less sporty) than an equivalent road bike ?

4). Would there be plenty of clearance for 28c tyres with mudguards removed ?

5). How good are they for touring ?

6). How impressed are you with the bike.

It's obviously a lot of money to spend and I want to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance.

Will1985

Über Member
No idea, but would it require a change of username?

dodgy

Sorry, I have no direct experience with this bike, but it seems a great 'do it all' type of machine. Titanium, mudguards, light(ish). Looks great, I'd have one.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Van Nick said:
I'm considering purchasing an Enigma Etape, and wondered if anyone with experience of this model could be answer the following:-

2). How does the weight compare to a "full on" road bike ?

3). Is the riding position a lot more "sit up and beg" (less sporty) than an equivalent road bike ?

4). Would there be plenty of clearance for 28c tyres with mudguards removed ?

5). How good are they for touring ?

6). How impressed are you with the bike.

It's obviously a lot of money to spend and I want to make the right decision.

Thanks in advance.

This thread may be worth another look, even though I am relating to my Van Nicholas Yukon much will also apply to the 'Enigma Etape' and similar, 'Sabbath September', 'Planet X Sportive' etc; but to answer each above:

Fundamentally it is the frame geometry that make these bikes what they are; the seat tube angles are similar to what you would find on a full-on race bike, whereas the head tube will have a slightly shallower angle to give a bit more comfort. The 56cm Yukon here has a 73 degree seat angle with 72 at the head; a race bike would normally be 73/73.

Cruising along, it feels comfortable and stable. Unloaded and riding on a flat level road, it feels quick; never quite as quick as a full on race bike but relatively fast nonetheless. If I had to highlight the difference of riding this style of geometry makes over a race bike, then personally I would say I only notice a slight drop off in performance when climbing or sprinting out of the saddle. The rest of the time it is much closer, which is exactly what they claim it is designed to be.

2). How does the weight compare to a "full on" road bike ? The frame will be only slightly heavier as it will have mudguard eyes and pannier bosses as well as longer stays, so it will weigh more simple because there is more to it. The finishing kit on an Audax set up is normally slightly more robust than many would spec' on a "full on road bike", more robust slightly heavier tyres, guards, pannier rack, it all adds up, so again this will add to the weight.

3). Is the riding position a lot more "sit up and beg" (less sporty) than an equivalent road bike ? .The Etape does not have a high front end so you can ride long and low if you prefer, many will ride slightly higher though. For example I could achieve the same position on both my Van Nicholas Chinook as I do on my Van Nicholas Yukon, yet I chose to ride slightly highger on the Yukon as I use that for my tours so want a fast yet comfortable set up, where as I ride longer and lower on my Chinook as in theory when I do the occasional race on it's all about pain gain and victory :smile:;

4). Would there be plenty of clearance for 28c tyres with mudguards removed ? Without guards yes, with guards I have seen it done, although a bit close for many.

5). How good are they for touring ? As you can see I use my Yukon for tours, although I don't load it up with rear panniers, these bike will take them although to load them up with a large rear panniers is getting near the limits of what these bikes are set up to do.

These days with modern travel clothing and cycle kit I have done two week unsupported tours with a pair of front panniers, whuch can be used a small rears of course.

6). How impressed are you with the bike. I use mine for what it has been designed for, providing you are intending to do the same then no reason why you shouldn't be impressed either.

I repeat although I am relating to my own 'Van Nicholas Yukon' and you have asked about the 'Enigma Etape' they are vey similar, the Etape is indeed well built and designed.

Paul_Smith
www.corridori.co.uk

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

[quote name='Blott's Mate']Not an answer to your question but I LOVE my Enigma Eclipse![/QUOTE]

Still very useful all the same, thanks BM and to all who have replied so far.

Top Bottom