Entry level kids road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StephF

Hi

Total newbie to cycling. I've had to take it up as my daughter has suddenly become fanatical!

I bought her an islabike (Beinn 24) about 6 weeks ago and we recently joined a road cycle club. She wants to start racing:wacko:.

Can anyone recommend a decent entry level racing bike? - I am price sensitive given that I've just forked out for the isla! Definitely looking for 2nd hand.

Locally, I've seen a Dawes Giro 300 24"for sale in my price range - any comments or other recommendations greatly received.

Thank you

How old and tall is she?. If the club is a youth/junior club with a website/facebook page there might be stuff up for sale there. My daughter was a good rider when young and I bought most bikes secondhand.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What's your budget? How tall is she? A 24" wheel mountain bike is likely to translate into a 24" or 650c road bike, depending upon their height.

The Dawes is a really heavy starter bike. Try a Frog or similar. My now 13yo used a Felt F24 kid's road bike - they do 24" and 650c wheel versions - which was very good. Specialized also do a 24" wheel road bike.

As @HarryTheDog has put, the club may have bikes or parents have older ones they've not got round to selling. My son's club has bikes available for those wanting to start road riding.

Again, what's your budget?

Also to consider is the Wiggins Rouen 650 - am a bit biased as I ride one myself. (Yes, I'm short, I know...) It's a really lovely bike, light at only 9kg. Have had mine for well over a year and a half and put some serious mileage on it as it's currently my only bike. Would highly recommend it. It's currently on offer at £264 (£330 full price). I know it's from Halfords, which a lot of people can get sniffy at, but the bike is brilliant bang-for-buck.

Another option at £279 is the new kids road bike from Decathlon - B'twin Triban 100. It's cheaper than the Wiggins (when the Wiggins is full price). Has cross top brake levers (a nice touch) but only has a single front chain ring and isn't quite as well specced.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The Triban 500 in XS might also be an option. Better specced than the 100. I got my lad the equivalent a few years back, although then it came with 650 wheels for the XS which I don’t think is the case now.

The Triban 500 in XS might also be an option. Better specced than the 100. I got my lad the equivalent a few years back, although then it came with 650 wheels for the XS which I don’t think is the case now.

Possible, but depends how tall the OP's daughter is.

They discontinued the range you're talking about last year at some point IIRC. I'm 4ft 11ins tall with 27 inch inside leg, and I can categorically say that the XS Triban 500 is too big for me. The blurb on the Decathlon website says 5ft 1ins and taller for adult bikes, which figures.

Hi

Total newbie to cycling. I've had to take it up as my daughter has suddenly become fanatical!

I bought her an islabike (Beinn 24) about 6 weeks ago and we recently joined a road cycle club. She wants to start racing:wacko:.

Can anyone recommend a decent entry level racing bike? - I am price sensitive given that I've just forked out for the isla! Definitely looking for 2nd hand.

Locally, I've seen a Dawes Giro 300 24"for sale in my price range - any comments or other recommendations greatly received.

Thank you

Where are you? I've a couple s/h for sale.

Top Bottom