Entry level ladies bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
Buying my wife a bike for Christmas (or at least we’ll go shopping for one) – flat bars, not heavy and easy rolling tyres, so we can ride reasonable distances but not at a particularly fast speed, i.e. probably 16mph max. She’s only ever had a heavy mountain bike with chunky tyres so anything would be an improvement, but I really want her to enjoy riding and maybe get up to some all-day rides (we live in Scotland and there are some great long distance cyclepaths not too far away).

Are we going to see much benefit for a £500 bike over a £300 bike?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Very much depends on what kind of riding you do I suppose.

My wife always refused to pay, what she regarded, as an "excessive amount" for a bicycle.

After wasting several hundred pounds on a succession of cheap bicycles, I bought her a Liv Alight 2. I cannot remember the exact price, but, it was about £400 I think, about two years ago, (that is including a few "extras" ie mudguards, rear rack).

This has been transformational, my wife has gone from being a "reluctant cyclist" to often being the one suggesting a cycle trip. Which is very pleasing for me.

We are past the first flush of youth (ie 72yo), so, no major distances, typically, we do 15-25 miles per ride, and, weather permitting about 50+ miles per week.

Whatever you choose, hope you have as much fun as we have had! ;)

tom73

Guru
Mrs 73 has a trek fx3 not much over £500. She love's it great fun to ride , not over heavy either (I know ive had to move it more than once inc on and off trains) we've done a few rides together both on the road and cycle paths inc some a bit lumpy without a problem. Given she's not an all out rider and not as fit as most she more than able to go at a decent speed. I'd happily ride one if I was looking for a nice ,decent lower cost ride around.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My local bikeshop reckons proper bicycles start at about £400, maybe £50 less from one of the discounters.

Don't rule out a mountain bike, one of those with shallow tread tyres would do the job, particularly if you want a naked bike.

Another advantage of an MTB is you are more likely to get mountain triple or low gearing.

rivers

How far can I go?
Before my wife decided to go the electric route, she had a pinnacle neon 2 from Evans. They are good spec for the money, and essentially flat bar road bikes, that can take wider tyres. It was lightweight, rolled well, and could take a rack and guards.

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
My local bikeshop reckons proper bicycles start at about £400, maybe £50 less from one of the discounters.

Don't rule out a mountain bike, one of those with shallow tread tyres would do the job, particularly if you want a naked bike.

Another advantage of an MTB is you are more likely to get mountain triple or low gearing.

Yeah that's a good call, especially with the gearing, I don't think a 50/34 chainset would be best for the way she would ride, 50 would be too high and the jump down to 34 might be too much when not going uphill, her current gears would be a lot closer together. I think we'll pick a bike shop and then just see what they have. I kind of want to support Dales in Glasgow but will see what Decathlon have to offer.

rivers

How far can I go?
Just saw this foe £380, including hydraulic discs https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-lithium-3-2020-hybrid-bike-EV339938
Super low gearing, so should get up anything

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Before my wife decided to go the electric route, she had a pinnacle neon 2 from Evans. They are good spec for the money, and essentially flat bar road bikes, that can take wider tyres. It was lightweight, rolled well, and could take a rack and guards.
+1 vote for a Neon, I have a Neon 2 that is 5-6 years old (added full mudguards and rack) that I hammer daily as my main form of transport, very nippy, copes with gentle off road tracks, lightweight, workhorse, I carry full panniers of shopping on it too and did my first 100+km sportive on it as I was realising I was wanting to do more and bought a road bike as well a year later. Ironically it's in having a full service and most components replaced at present, I would go for disc brake version now though. the Lithium above has disc brakes and a bargain, very similar just slightly more weighted to mtb than road.

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I’d probably get discs. That decathlon bike now looks on the expensive side for rim brakes

For what benefit exactly? Rim brakes work perfectly fine if they are set up properly. Racing cyclists who ride much faster and more aggressively than any leisure rider seem to manage on them OK. If you are paying attention to what you are doing and anticipating the route ahead, then a non-racing cyclist should be spending very little time using the brakes anyway, in order to conserve the momentum you had to expend energy on providing.

vickster

Legendary Member
For what benefit exactly? Rim brakes work perfectly fine if they are set up properly. Racing cyclists who ride much faster and more aggressively than any leisure rider seem to manage on them OK. If you are paying attention to what you are doing and anticipating the route ahead, then a non-racing cyclist should be spending very little time using the brakes anyway, in order to conserve the momentum you had to expend energy on providing.
Personal preference if I were buying a new or used flatbar bike, hence 'I'd' not 'she should'. I have rim brakes and discs. I prefer the former for winter not least for rim health ( that said I'm riding a rim braked bike at the moment and the rims are filthy :rolleyes:).

I ride in (heavy) traffic often with plenty of muppet motorists. Yes I can and do pay close attention but not everyone else does ;) Momentum...what's that in traffic :laugh: unless you mean drafting the car in front ;)

Not everything in life has to have a rational or tangible benefit...that's just boring ;) life should include enjoyment too (I think yours comes from pi$$ing money away on beer :whistle:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Thanks, I'm trying to avoid Evans if possible for a number of reasons but all of the Pinnacle bikes look good. Dales Cycles have Ridgeback, how does that compare as a brand? Then they have Giant, then it's £500+.

Top Bottom