Entry level ladies bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, I'm trying to avoid Evans if possible for a number of reasons but all of the Pinnacle bikes look good. Dales Cycles have Ridgeback, how does that compare as a brand? Then they have Giant, then it's £500+.
Ridgeback good solid bikes. Let her try a few out and decide

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Sat on a Specialized Sirrus (I think) and the handlebars seemed hugely wide, is that normal for this kind of bike? Do women's models tend to have narrower bars as it didn't seem like it.

Saw some good looking Liv bikes too, it's probably much of a muchness at this price point though, they're not going to be a bad bike for her needs as long as it fits.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sat on a Specialized Sirrus (I think) and the handlebars seemed hugely wide, is that normal for this kind of bike? Do women's models tend to have narrower bars as it didn't seem like it.

Saw some good looking Liv bikes too, it's probably much of a muchness at this price point though, they're not going to be a bad bike for her needs as long as it fits.
You can always cut the bars down or swap. Assume she’s test riding herself

Gunk

Guru
Ridgeback good solid bikes. Let her try a few out and decide

Ridgebacks are worth looking at, not so well known as Giant, Trek, Specialized etc, so tend to be better value. We’ve got a 10 year old hybrid as our pub bike and it’s pretty good.

4-A07-A3-C6-6529-4655-B4-A4-8-D2-F2-DCB78-BA.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
You can always cut the bars down or swap. Assume she’s test riding herself.

Yes she is, I even let her talk to the sales person. ;)

Will ask about cutting down, they have a good workshop so might even do it for us. The bars on my Kona feel too wide and that's with my rugby player shoulders, so the standard ones probably feel massive for her.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
This Cannondale Quick 7 is reduced to £249, use code SAVE10 for an extra £10 off plus another 3% via Quidco.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...b05518134164831dcb7f&referrer=affiliatewindow

The men’s version is the same price too.

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bike...-7-2019-aluminium-hybrid-bike-acid-red_460727

Last edited:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
That wasn't meant to be snarky - we've had cases where she was buying electronics and would ask a question and the sales guy would address his entire answer to me!

;) Yes, had that. Some years ago, buying a car for my wife, Salesman insisted on discussing all of the "technical" points with me, and, only the Colour and interior trim, with my wife.

In fairness, my wife has zero interest in the "technical" aspects, and refers to cars by colour, rather than make/model, but, she refused to buy the car, on principal. ;)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
My OH has just bought the men's Cannondale Quick 7 hybrid - arrived today. Very pleased with it. Relatively lightweight at 22lbs, comfortable, good gearing and brakes. We have just been down the canal paths and he is very happy with it for the price. Seems a step up from the lower end bikes we looked at in Halfords etc. If you don't want to spend too much I don't think you would be disappointed with it for £240.

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Not many. Bikes went up quite a bit in lockdown due to low availability. The shops seem to be restocked at the moment but I'm not seeing any big discounts. The 2021 equivalent to the Cannondale I mentioned above seems to be a £500 bike now. Might be some impulse buy lockdown bikes coming through on ebay etc but I'm not sure how cheap they'll be against current rrp prices.

I got a great used Trek mountain bike for £60 a couple of months ago so there are some deals on Gumtree etc but you need to be flexible about travelling and brands etc.

Top Bottom