Entry Level Reviews (Giant Defy 0)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikeman66

Just been reading a group test and review of entry level bikes in Cycling Plus.

Although I'm sorted for bikes at the moment and not looking to add to my collection, I just thought it was worth drawing attention to the 2015 Giant Defy 0. For just less than a grand a bike that comes in at a claimed 8.8kg and has a predominantly Ultegra 11 speed groupset has to be worth a serious look for anyone looking at buying a bike in that price range! It's also about £200 cheaper than last year's model. Winner!

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

Can't argue that it's a fine bike, but just to be clear, giant don't claim any weight for their bikes.
It was the review that claimed the weight, which although I would agree isn't THE most important thing, it certainly is a factor that people look at when buying a bike. I know I do for sure!

OP
OP
bikeman66

bikeman66

So we are now counting £1000 Ultegra equipped bikes as 'entry level'? :rolleyes:
The review was of bikes which were between £700 and £1000. The lower end of that would certainly qualify as entry level, and if you are in that market, you may just want to stretch to something at the upper end of the scale, so yes, I would still label £1000 as borderline entry level. The post wasn't supposed to provoke an argument, it was merely meant to draw attention to what looks like a very good deal, whichever way you look at it.

Cyclist33

The review was of bikes which were between £700 and £1000. The lower end of that would certainly qualify as entry level, and if you are in that market, you may just want to stretch to something at the upper end of the scale, so yes, I would still label £1000 as borderline entry level. The post wasn't supposed to provoke an argument, it was merely meant to draw attention to what looks like a very good deal, whichever way you look at it.

if you look at it from the viewpoint of someone who cant spend a thousand quid on a bike, it doesnt look so good a deal.

potsy

Rambler
Yes but surely the Defy 5 is the entry level of theirs?
Not having a go at you by the way, just these kind of articles.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Another reason i cancelled my subscription , fair enough is has a target audience of mamils with cash but im not part of the later so i got fed up of reading about entry level anything costing around a grand for a wheelset etc.
Bike and component snobbery perhaps? I thing maybe were all a little guilty of that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bike and component snobbery perhaps? I thing maybe were all a little guilty of that.
Snobbery ? currently using a bike coming in at 35 llbs , i probably need to find a mag that deals with a more realistic level of cycling rather than hedge fund management specials ;)
All the "training " plans are aimed at sedentary "workers " i had a few emails with the editor a while back outlining the angles they might consider covering for cyclists with more physical jobs , shift work etc .

Top Bottom