Entry level Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Alanwj100

You can get a very nice bike for a grand. The important thing is what type of bike do you want ? What will you use it for ?
Well I initially as a road bike . Im a runner quite a few half marathons and a few full ones so if I decide to do a decathlon I would want it for that

battered

Guru
Cannondale optimo seem good value bikes, only thing i dont like about lower price cannondale bikes is the maddux wheels (maybe they dont fit these any more) Have known quite a few that suffered constant broken spokes in the rear wheels, but the caad frames seem really great.
I have a second-hand bitza bike that came with Maddux wheels. The bearings were garbage, but I've rebuilt them and they are fine. No broken spokes so far, after a few hundred miles.

Shortandcrisp

Über Member
I purchased the Boardman 8.9 slr a few months ago for £1000. It’s now risen to £1100. The carbon frame seems very good value for the money and it has mostly 11 speed 105. The basic Tektro brakes are truly awful however and have very limited stopping power. Had intended to replace the brakes pads and persevere, but after just a few rides I noticed the calliper springs were showing signs of rust, so spent another £100 on some TRP long drop callipers which are significantly better. Stock Boardman wheels are heavy but serviceable.; like most cyclists, I had a pair of wheels to swop over, so this wasn’t a problem.

Without wishing to sound too much like a comic bike review -

Pros: Good frame and group set for the money. Perfect for some upgrades when and if required.

Cons: Awful brakes and heavy stock wheels.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Triathlon maybe? I'd be looking on that auction site. Recently there was a barely used Evans carbon with a bit better than entry level components for less than half of your grand. It didn't sell the first time either.

Reactions: C R
Duathlon possibly ? If you want to be competitive then you'll need a TT bike - but they're not great for starting to road ride on.
If you just want to take part then there's loads of choice out there - but you might struggle with stock.
I think Planet X have their EC130 in stock. An aero road bike but it's a bit more than a grand.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom