Eric Fishbein killed during TransAM/ deaths in long distance/endurance rides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k_green

Eric Fishbein has been struck and killed during the Trans Am Bike Race. Another tragedy in a long-distance bike race.

I loved watching the TransCon dots last year and the IndianPacific Wheel Race coverage was brilliant but it's hard to enjoy dot watching since the death of Mike Hall.

I'm not sure what I'm saying. Noone should be forced off the roads because of bad drivers, that's really not the point, and cancelling these races wouldn't do anything really to prevent cyclist deaths. It's just upsetting and yet it almost seems unsurprising.

I am always grateful for good passes and careful drivers but why should I be?! That's the law and should be the minimum.

Dying doing what you love is a great sentiment but cyclists should not be dying on the road like this. My thoughts are with Eric's family and friends.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The death toll generally from cars is enormous, but mostly tacitly accepted. I can't think of any other instance where Joe Public has such easy access to something so lethal.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Both Mike and Eric were hit from behind. I have asked the TCR guys to really make an effort to be lit up and as visible as possible during the day and night. They are taking that on board but there is only so much you can do.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not sure how you stop danger on bikes.. closed roads help but a crash barrier road funitire and a long drop into a valley work just aswell as a car in the death risk stakes

Tim Hall

Not sure how you stop danger on bikes.. closed roads help but a crash barrier road funitire and a long drop into a valley work just aswell as a car in the death risk stakes
While a long drop in to a valley is unlikely to have a good outcome, have you got any stats for the number of KSI or risk posed by a long drop into a valley vs the number of KSI or risk due to motor vehicles. I'd guess (wild hand waving here) that the motor vehicle is way more dangerous.

Reactions: mjr

Vegan1

With RAAM going on right now these cyclists do have a follow car, and there has been occasions where even these have been hit from behind, and we are talking a large pick up/van with reflectives and lights on the back. I don't reckon being any more lit up will make a difference, being a tad more defensive maybe if you are riding on an unlit road as I am when riding at night, but with respect to the two people that have died this is pure conjecture and I would not want to comment on the circumstances regarding these instances.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Since you need to even ask, Steveindenmark does. He always responds to cyclist death with a plea to use better lights, as if that makes any difference.

Well, even assuming the driver is paying attention, then if it is dark then lights are essential, otherwise you are basically invisible until it is possibly too late.

Levo-Lon

Guru
While a long drop in to a valley is unlikely to have a good outcome, have you got any stats for the number of KSI or risk posed by a long drop into a valley vs the number of KSI or risk due to motor vehicles. I'd guess (wild hand waving here) that the motor vehicle is way more dangerous.

Not sure what you mean..
Ive been a motorcyclist all my life and a keen cyclist..everything is a danger if you hit it or it hits you..
We dont have a metal cage and airbags on 2wheels.

Its a sad event no matter how it happens

Top Bottom