Eroica bakewell 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Daddybus

Über Member
Not far from me... am thinking of going, anyone else? anyone been before? Reading the rules etc are they really that 'nazi' about everything? Old bike is no problem.. although it may not be 'handsome' can I just wear shorts tee shirt pumps combo ...I may not be handsome! Think the 30 mile ride would be quite enough for me ... So anyway is it worth the moneys?

gareth01244

Veteran
I went to this years Eroica with the family and had a fantastic time. Definitely going to go again next year. I didn't take my bike as it was still in bits but might do next time if I can fit it in the car along with the camping gear.lots of people put a lot of effort into their outfits and it was great to watch but I don't think that the rules are as strict regarding bike type and outfit on the 30 mile ride.

highline

I went this year, fantastic weekend with lots to do and see. Huge bike jumble, lots of entertainment, good food and beer. Did the 55 mile on my Carlton International which was a great ride, lots of stops and plenty of chat on the way. Riders dress in all sorts from eccentric period dress to shorts and t shirts. Can honestly say I felt very welcome and not out of place, I certainly didn't feel there were many rules other than ride you steel and have a good time. I'd thoroughly recommend it and I've already booked for 2016, going to try the 100 on my Bianchi.

stevevw

Guru
good luck on that one

i think @stevevw went as well
He did and is going again next year along with seven club mates and WAGS. We are not camping this time too old for all that business, plus it is the wife's birthday on the Sunday and one of our club mates a few days before so a bit of a post ride party will be going on.

I booked the hotel in July and I doubt you will be able to find anywhere within walking distance of Bakewell to stay now, so camping will be your best bet. They do offer Glamping which may be an option?

last year 3 of us rode the 55 while one rode the hundred and as luck would have it we met up with about 15 miles to go and all rode together to the finish. The 55 route was long enough to make you put in an effort but short enough to take your time and enjoy the scenery, bikes, food and the people.

Grand Primo

I did it this year and have booked again for next. Luckily I have family in the area, so I was able to arrive early and spend a couple of days getting used to the roads (and hills). Then on
- Thu, I did medium course (55 mi)
- Fri, I did the short course (30 mi) then registered
- Sat, I had a day off the bike and just enjoyed the festival.
- Sun i did the long course (100 mi) then collapsed!
Truthfully I enjoyed all 3 courses, they are different from each other and all of them have challenging aspects. I rode my 1960 Pennine (which has some later components) and we got up, down and round everything without incident, although the rear brake had started to dismantle itself by the end! Festival itself was great. Biggest thrill for me was bumping into other Pennine owners and riders and comparing notes.
P.S. Only one Nazi, who shouted very loudly that I was 'cheating' because I had plastic water bottles. Most people stayed in the spirit of the event, there were a few young fit lads riding fast on beautifully restored Flying Scots etc but most people pottered along. I did notice one or two Pashley Governors and one Planet X Holdsworth but they are beautiful things in their own right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daddybus

Daddybus

Über Member
You're all obviously much fitter than me!!... Plastic bottles cheating? How strict are they! Do you have to go through some sort of scrutaneering? -so what do I do?... I have a 1985 town bike but it has new modern wheels, or a 1940's clubman but it has a late 80's 3 speed hub or a 60's racer but it has 80's/90's gears & chain set...

Grand Primo

Daddybus, I think any of your bikes would be fine, you choose the one that 'goes' the best. The officials were really nice and jolly, I don't think they turned anyone away. The man who shouted at me was just a nob - I took the attitude "well I'm the one riding 100 miles so I will choose what kind of water bottles I will take".

robsa

Über Member
Well played grand primo. You find dickheads like that in any hobby,sport or activity you lean towards its one of the reasons I never join clubs etc . Because tossers like that aggrandise themselves and become "chairmen" and self appointed experts. Gahhhh. Rant over

Top Bottom