Eroica Brittania off until 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just received this email.

I was not planning on going but in case anyone was and now has to unmake arrangements

It is with great sadness that Eroica Britannia has been postponed until 2023.

The event was due to take place on 6-7 August 2022, but a number of logistical and supply chain challenges have made it very difficult to the deliver the world-class event we’ve all been looking forward to. Like you, the whole team at Goodwood are disappointed that the event won’t be happening this summer.

We’d like to thank you for supporting the event’s move from the Peak District and we look forward to welcoming you, the cycling community and our partners to West Sussex and the South Downs National Park next year, to celebrate all things cycling at Goodwood.

Stay tuned for future announcements about the 2023 event.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
One reason Brittania has never been on my must do list is that any use of "world class event" sets my B-S meter twitching.:stop:

The test event, as part of the Goodwood Revival was excellent, though I suspect that was more Goodwood than EB.

I sometimes wonder about their relationship with the rest of the Eroica family. Do they have different licensing arrangements? I don't recall seeing discounted or guaranteed entry to Britannia for CCE members, for example - though I could be wrong. When I've done it in the past in Bakewell and Friden Grange, it's seemed a lot more commercial than the other events - almost like a summer festival with added cycling, rather than a festival of cycling.

I've just cancelled our hotel rooms for the weekend - I expect a sudden spike in availability of accommodation in the area over that weekend if anyone fancies a break in Sussex in August!

figbat

Slippery scientist
I'm seeing a lot of cycling events being cancelled recently - most blame low sign-up rates, although I'm doing one on Saturday that was also low but has ramped up in the final few days. I know many can't take the risk that attendance will pick up enough to cover costs.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
I wonder what the supply chain issues are ? I guess there's more to it than just a bike ride ?

Given that in the past the (then) organisers have mailed out the news that the "Official tonic supplier is...." I understand it is not only a bike ride.

Has anyone done both EB and Anjou Velo Vintage and can give a comparision as at some levels they look on paper to be similar: mutli-day, festival events, etc

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Six friends from my club had booked to go but have been cancelled. One tells me he has seen a lot of 2-4-1 ticket offers recently. Sounds more like ticket sales issues than supply chain issues.

flyingosborn

I was keen to go until I looked at accommodation. Travelodges were coming in at £160 and the event on-site camping option for the weekend was, err, also £160. At this point my interest suddenly waned. I think having it in a very popular holiday destination area bang in the middle of school holidays is the issue.

Top Bottom