erratic cateeye cordless 2 - help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazyfatgit

I have a cateye cordless 2 computer which has been behaving erratically over the last few weeks. it sometimes shows what experience says is the correct speed, but often looks like around half.

i've replaced the batteries in both the sensor and the display, no change.
checked the alignment of the magnet and have even moved sensor down the fork so the magnet is a hairs width from the sensor. no change.

At first i thought it was just the cold weather (the display died one day 2 weeks ago until it defrosted at home) but it's also a bit erratic when wheel is spun by hand at home.

do i just accept it's time for a replacement, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Do you use lights at this time of year? my lights when flashing can have a similar effect on my Raleigh Echo computer when the batteries are low. Since I've moved my lights further away from the computer I've not had a problem.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
as HLaB says though also some LED lights on the low power setting (actually a very fast flash - unnoticable to mere mortals) will play havoc with some wireless computers

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

I've tried it with the EL410 (mounted next to it on a spacegrip) turned off. and it's still the same. Mind you i've recently moved my lumotec (halogen) onto the RH lowrider fork boss. (i had to make space for ATC 2K). Dynamo is mounted on left front fork.

As soon as the weather improves i'll have another look at it. It's snowing here (again) and i can't quite drag myself to the shed. Maybe try another set of batteries before i condemn it.

Cranky

Do you leave the computer on the bike outside in a garage/shed when at home? I used to have problems with mine in the winter which, I think, were due to condensation forming inside (sometimes it could be seen on the display). Since I've kept the computer indoors between rides it's been fine.

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

The bikes in the shed, but i generally bring the computer inside so i can record the info.
I suspect the problem is likely to be with the sensor. Just noticed on the instructions which I've dug out that a 5mm gap is recomended. I'll have another go at setting it up midweek.

Your sender unit is giving up.

You start getting readings which are a fraction of your true speed, e.g if doing 20mph it'll jump between 20-15-10-20-etc
It must be the joggle switch inside which is sticking or something.
Eventually it'll not read at all.

I've two of them on two bikes and have had two sender units fail.
- the head unit would work on the other bike, the other head unit would not work with the faulty sender.
Passing a magnet back and forward next to the sender didn't give that slight click.

Google around for Cateye Wireless and you'll find lots of people on various cycling forums saying they were rubbish.
The US importer was arranging replacements under warranty, but Zyro here in the UK didn't.

I replaced mine once by buying a replacement sender unit only and once by buying a fitting kit intended to fit the computer to another bike - came with sender unit, handlebar bracket, cable ties, etc.
- Ribble have these but they're £28 http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productdetail.asp?productcatalogue=CATECOMZ625000000000
(- they've gone up - I paid about a tenner ! At this price, it wuold be cheaper to buy another computer...)

There's no difference between Cordless 2, 3 & 7 sender units, same part - and apparently the one from the Vectra & Micro cordless is compatible toohttp://www.bikemagic.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt//UTN/89695/V/1/last/1/SP/ (last post)

In which case £16.62 ! http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=O0024

Cranky

lazyfatgit said:
Thanks for the advice.

I'll have a look inside it.

If i canny fix it then Tesco are doing a wired one for about 3 quid.

I think I'll be using wired computers in future unless for a suspension fork. Also the batteries are getting quite expensive to replace, two at a time on wireless.

Top Bottom