'Essential' upgrades?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

outlash

also available in orange
I guess what I mean by essential is upgrades that will make a noticeable improvement. Me and my Triban 3 get along famously but I think a couple of upgrades might help it along a bit. I did read the article in Cycling Active so I'm thinking:

Clipless pedals are a given. The pedals and toe clips are hopelessly too small for my big feet (size 12) and I'm having to do for now but as soon as funds allow...

Wheels seem to be a bit of a weak point on the Tribans because they're pretty heavy so I guess that a nice set of Mavic Askiums or the cheaper Shimanos might be in order. Any other suggestions?

Other than that, what else (other than my own improvement!) would be a decent upgrade?

TIA

Tony.

vickster

Legendary Member
Tyres by all accounts, brake blocks and perhaps a saddle if you don't get on with the stock one - cheap options

OP
OP
outlash

outlash

also available in orange
Those were the other bits mentioned in the article weren't they? Have to say, the brakes seem to be doing alright at the moment, maybe I'm not going fast enough! Same as the tyres, I think those will be replaced with the wheels.

I know a few people don't get on with it but I personally don't have a huge problem with the saddle, once I adjusted it's position, it's comfy enough :smile:.

Tony.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Tyres definately. Yes wheels too.
It's no bad thing to have summer and winter wheels if you're gonna be riding all through the winter (keep on the originals for now), then in spring, new top tyres on best wheels you can afford.
I would immediately change the front pads to Koolstop Salmons though and blacks on the back when the rears wear out.
Mudguards would be a welcome winter addition as well.

defy-one

On my triban i changed the peddles to normal flats for commutinh.
Seat was horrible so changed that.
Also put an adjustable stem on as i felt a little stretched out. Now i can see traffic better in London.
This allows me to keep my Defy true for speed etc

I've changed the pedals, stem and brake blocks plus added some cross levers. Tyres I'll leave until they wear out on both T3's.
saddle we are both fine with. Wheels - well we are used to bikes weighing 22kg so not to worried about the weight of the wheels on the T3 at the moment!

Top Bottom