Essentials for the winter commute?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twanger

Über Member
The last 2 winters on an 11 mile each way commute in London:

base layer, long sleeved jersey and a windproof Altura night vision jacket. The three layers have always been enough except for one day last winter when I shoved a sweater on as well. The sweater came off after 2 miles. I have a rain jacket, but only use it if it's really raining. Winter tights are great. 2 pairs of socks (woollen hiking socks over normal), and overshoes when very wet (I ride a brompton, which has a low bottom bracket = wetter feet). Winter gloves and occasionally liners when very cold.

Skull cap, yes. Keeping head and extremities warm is more important than anything.

My experience is that cheap stuff ( cheapo base layers from sports direct and Amazon, cheapo glove liners etc) works well, and stuff which dries quickly, such as lycra thermal tights, is better than waterproof, even in wet snow. But your mileage may vary.

Sometimes I say f*** *t and throw the bike on the train (this is why I ride a Brompton - well, one of the reasons, anyway). On such days my ride is only about 2.5 miles each way and I just wear normal clothes.

I look at teh collection of cycle clothing I have and somethimes wonder at it...but it all gets used. A lot.

Dry quickly is the thing. Nothing worse than wearing or putting on floppy wet clothes. for a three mile run, something to keep the wind off like a buff, fleece jacket and gloves should do a good job of keeping you cosy.

Lucheni

+1 for overshoes or perhaps waterproof socks and you'll probably want some proper gloves, and a light rainjacket.

Last year my winter riding kit was the same as my summer kit but with "ordinary" clothes thrown over the top. This suited me alright for rides of about 9 miles each way, even when it got icy and we had snow. My feet suffered though, easily getting wet and cold. Overshoes are now on my must have list for luxury winter rides.

You won't need to bundle up as much as you might expect. Riding will usually keep you pretty toasty but if you get wet (from rain or sweat) you'll freeze once you stop moving.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Soft Shell Jacket anyone got one of these? They feel like they could be too warm (if thats possible) during the winter.

The very few times I rode last winter my Altura Nigh Vision waterproof felt too thin!

I am already wearing my soft shell jacket in the morning (6.30ish) and full finger gloves...but shorts and t-shirt for the way home once it has warmed up a bit. Must get some more base layers and some winter gloves early this year (bound to bring on an indian summer).

Top Bottom