Establishing steepness of a hill-anything online?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It was the 1:25,000, which definitely SHOULD have had them!

I have digital OS maps on my phone, tablet and laptop for the whole of Britain at 1:250k, 1:50k, 1:25k and 1:10k scales. I use them to plot all of my new routes.

As you say, chevrons and contour lines give a lot of information, but despite that I have been caught out a few times by ramps which are harder than expected.

It is not a really big issue for most rides but if I were going to push myself for distance AND elevation gain AND steepness AND hours of daylight then I would want to be really sure of what lay ahead. I definitely don't like missing the last train home when exhausted!
Conversely, I really don't want to be warned of hills. Blissful ignorance for me.

It is alleged that OS initially graded their chevroned hills by sending cyclists out with spirit-levels strapped to their top-tubes.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
This is like a Cat 1 climb around here, goes from 29ft up to an oxygen depleting 53ft at the summit.
View attachment 683304

Funny I thought that looks like the. 'Cols' I have to endure 😉 and then realised your East Yorkshire as well...

CXRAndy

Guru
As long you have enough gears then virtually all hills become slopes. I have very low gearing so can slow down and spin up most climbs without blowing up

Jameshow

Veteran
I don't think the 1:250000 maps show chevrons, only the larrger scale ones. But you also look at the contours for steepness, as my map above. And it's all free to view online.

OS assumes you can read a map and therefore chevron aren't required!

Jameshow

Veteran
That's an excellent example... I wouldn't want to come across that monster without a triple chainset on my bike and a packed lunch for the mid-climb rest stop! :laugh:

Maybe you should have a tracker so we can come to your rescue / for our entertainment!!
Says he who barely made it round Baildon moor last night!

Mike_P

Guru
The single chevron hills IME are either doable or not doable implying to me too large a range of gradients; I have relatively easilly crusied up one, struggled over another and resorted to shank's pony on one. I also presume they work on an average gradeint which is not much use when a hill is bouncing around at lesser gradients for most of it and then changes to far steeper gradients.

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The single chevron hills IME are either doable or not doable implying to me too large a range of gradients; I have relatively easilly crusied up one, struggled over another and resorted to shank's pony on one. I also presume they work on an an average gradeint which is not much use when a hill is bouncing around at lesser gradients for most of it and then changes to far steeper gradients.

OS rule: one chevron =1:7 (14% approx); two chevrons = 1:5 or greater (20% approx). Chevrons point uphill.
Michelin: chevrons point downhill. As I recall they show approx 1:10 and greater.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Once you have conquered your hill, you could consider getting this book to try more Yorkshire challenges, though the Peak District ones (which could be closer to you) are in the Midlands version.
Happy climbing!
20230529_164952.jpg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As long you have enough gears then virtually all hills become slopes. I have very low gearing so can slow down and spin up most climbs without blowing up
That is very true. I was out tackling some tough climbs today on my mountain bike***. None of the gradients bothered me at all - it was the gravel/ruts/boulders/etc that did!

*** 26" wheels, 22/32 bottom gear. The problem was often just keeping the front of the bike down on the surface of the bridleway

Top Bottom