Scotland : Perthshire Etape Caledonia

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Wonder if there are any other CC'ers taking part this Sunday; i'm in Wave B looking for a decent group to draft with!

juniorshysheep

Wonder if there are any other CC'ers taking part this Sunday; i'm in Wave B looking for a decent group to draft with!

I'm in Wave C, only signed up last night after seeing your post, thanks for the prompt! Looking forward to it, not done this one before

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Did it last year. It's a lovely ride, stunning scenery, great organisation.

It's tougher than you might expect - there's only the one big climb but hardly any flat bits in between.

Enjoy!

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
This will be my fourth year, promises to be a dreich one (by the weather forecast).

I'm part of the covers band playing in the event village on Saturday, feel free to come over and say hello! (i'm the one with a distinct lack of teeth...)

gaijintendo

Veteran
I did a recce with a friend who was doing the route last year, and it was a great ride as smutchin describes. The only other thing is, if you catch the wind on the way down the Lochs, you'll get it back on the undulating roads the other side.

The Schiehallion isn't horrific... but it's one non-stop climb. I wish I had trained so I could have enjoyed it a bit.

I'm a commuter and not much more, and only had 25 teeth on my cassette and felt like I needed another 5 (or maybe that training I was imagining?). I took a strategic stop to take in the view, ahem, but in my defense I had guards, a pannier rack, Marathon+ on my flatbar tank.

Descent was great fun.

zizou

Veteran
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Always the same with me alarm set for 430 but im not going to get much sleep at all before then!

This will be my fourth year, promises to be a dreich one (by the weather forecast).

I'm part of the covers band playing in the event village on Saturday, feel free to come over and say hello! (i'm the one with a distinct lack of teeth...)

Didnt see this post until now your band sounded good! Shame about it raining so much meant there was a lot less people milling about the event village than normal.

OP
OP
dhd.evans

dhd.evans

Veteran
Cheers @zizou, we had a laugh - thankfully IMG paid us up front so we couldn't be held accountable for the generator dropping out every few minutes!

Ride was a good one and I managed 4hr 20min. Disappointed because i was on course for just over the 4hr mark until i ran out of food and took on more water than i needed at the 68mi point. Had to drop out of the group i was in and take a slash and lost all momentum...

My thanks to the VeloDees of Aberdeen who allowed me to join their group shortly after that point. Slightly erratic peloton structure and the group eventually dropped me (utterly bonked) but otherwise a good fun run.

Top Bottom