Etiquette for beginner MTB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An just wondering what the etiquette on trails is as I am a newbie and don't want to get in the way or be a risk when I finally get going

Globalti

Legendary Member
GERROUTA MY WAY!

Pauluk

There are no rules as such other than be aware of pedestrians, they always have right of way as a more vulnerable user of a path or trail. If you are coming at them from behind give a single ping of your bell to warn them of your presence (don't leave it too late and scare them). I find the vast majority of peds are very helpful when you do this.

Try to stay on the left when there is an oncoming bike, again doing this in plenty of time helps with their decision making.

If you can't see round a bend be cautious, I find it annoying when a cyclist comes ripping round a blind bend without any regard for who or what may be in their path.

If there is a hill with only room for one bike its good manners to give way to a rider coming up the incline.

Mainly all common sense and being polite. Treat others as you want to be treated.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Do you mean on open paths and bridle ways or on trail centre trails? the above advice is great for bridle ways etc. trail centres have a slightly different approach. They are all one way, so no oncoming traffic or rides to worry about. They are segregated, so no walkers to worry about. The rider in front has priority, so if a rider comes up behind you breathing down your neck you don't have to let them past. Not all riders stick to that last one, and occasionally you'll meet someo e who thinks you should pull over and let them past. Your choice! If you do choose to pull over to let a faster rider past you will feel less self conscious, so it's a judgement call. Other than that stop fretting about rules and etiquette and go and ride. Relax and enjoy and do your own thing. No one's watching you or critiquing your performance, so go and enjoy it. Don't wait, just do it!!!!!

Top Bottom