Eurohike Trangia copy stove/cookset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

battered

Guru
Useless? I have a mini Trangia 28 & really like it, a great bit of kit (once a small "beer can" wind shield is added), & at only 330g.

No, not useless, but "useless compared to the real thing". If you are talking about the very small Trangia, the Mini Trangia (not the 28 with its proper windshield)it only really works with as you say an added beercan windshield. On that basis it loses all the attraction of the original, the real thing. The real thing scores because it's a one-stop shop. You get the works, it all fits together, it's bulletproof and it works. You wake up in the morning, no priming, no pumping, take the lid off the burner, one match, chuck the kettle on, nothing's wobbling about, nothing's falling over, 5 minutes later you have a cup of tea and you haven't even left your pit yet. Good work.

Any other stove including the Mini, is a bit of a pain in comparison, you can't snooze while it boils. On that basis you can junk the pot stand and replace it with one you made yourself from 2 bike spokes. You can replace that burner with a hexy stove or a penny stove weighing nothing, or a gas stove if you want something that's quick. So all you *really* need is the pot, and you can get a pot anywhere.

So not useless, no, but if you're getting a Trangia get a 28 for 2 of you or a 25 if you want bigger pans. IMO at least, if you get on fine with the Mini, great. There's more than one route to lightweight camping happiness.

battered

Guru
That Clas Ohlson stove at a tenner is well worth another look IMO, too. I remember the old Optimus version of the Trangia, never used one, but it looks the part and at £10 we don't need to split hairs about 50g. A Mars bar weighs more than that and your biggest weight savings result from simply not taking junk you don't need.

Thistler, have you knocked up a penny stove and had a play with it yet? Mine are great.

willem

Über Member
Before anyone gets confused: the Trangia 27 is the real thing small Trangia (and the Trangia 25 is the same but bigger, for 2-3 people). The 330 gram Trangia 28 is the mini Trangia. The pot and the pan are smaller (too small for a hungry cyclist I think), but they still fit nicely together. It does not have a proper windshield, and is much slower as a result. The Optimus Tor was actually quite a bit more than 50 gram heavier, but I am afraid I cannot remember how much (more like 800 grams I think).
Willem

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
That one from Clas Ohlson certainly is tempting but there are no stores near me and it looks like they don't sell stuff online. Probably a good thing!

I haven't tried making a penny stove yet, we don't have any cans but there are usually some blowing about in the street so will keep my eye out for some! They are just too cool to not try!

I seem to spend my life buying cheap things because I can't afford better quality, then having to replace them with more cheap stuff when they break/wear out...in the end I spend more than I would have just buying the good quality one in the first place. I'm not in a hurry so I'm going to look around carefully, possibly find a Trangia 25 set used? 

I will need a sleeping bag and mat too, so it may be well into next spring before I have the basic equipment to do any touring.

willem

Über Member
Here are my tips for quality sleeping kit that is not ridiculously expensive: an Exped Synmat Basic mattress if you want more insulation or an Alpkit Numo for summer use only. An Alpkit Pipedream 400 or Skyehigh 600 sleeping bag. The Synmat basic, the Numo and the Pipedream are compact and light as well. The Skyehigh is bulkier and heavier, but also 40 pounds cheaper. Down bags are lighter and more compact than synthetic for the same warmth, and last longer. All this stuff will be warm enough down to just below freezing, i.e. as cold as you will probbably have it on a normal cycle tour. More fill weight such is in the Skyehigh 800 or the Pipedram 600 (both rated at minus 10) makes the bag 20 pounds more expensive, a bit bulkier and 200 grams heavier, of course.
Willem

willem

Über Member
On reflection I think that Numo mat is not such a good idea. With an R=2.5 it is only suitable for the summer (plus 5?). It can be colder than that but still be nice in Spring and Autumn, or at higher altitudes, even in Southern Europe. The Synmat Basic may be more expensive, but has a temperature range that you may really need - the cold comes from underneath.
Willem

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
I have found a new Trangia 25 UL set  for £30 - no kettle, but could use one of the pans to boil water and buy one later if needed...

Is there any reason I couldn't or shouldn't get a silicone pan liner / bakoglide type thing and use it to make the pan more non-stick? 

What do you think?

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
Just put some oil in bottom of your pan. Did your gran teach you nothing?

:biggrin:

Top Bottom