Eurohike Trangia copy stove/cookset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

willem

Über Member
That pan set is 710 grams, without stove. With a proper Trangia, you get the whole lot, including stove, for that weight.
Willem

battered

Guru
OK, so that set isn't as good as you'd hope. Others are and come in well below 700g.

willem

Über Member
If it is just a cookset because you intend to cook on a cannister stove, the cheapest decent one I know is a set of Trangia pots of the 25 or 27 series. They are also sold separately from the stove part of the sets, and they are excellent and cheaper than most sets where you get far more than you want to take. A Trangia 27 pot, a frying pan (also serves as a lid) and a grip is all you need, for a total of 200 gram, and far less money.
Willem

battered

Guru
The other thing is don't carry a bigger pot than you need. I just had another look at that set and the pans are HUGE. No womder t's heavy.

C

chillyuk

I have just weighed my Trangia kit which comprises the burner and screw on lid, the big windshield and the pan support, a saucepan marked 0.5, a more rounded bowl a similar size to the pan, but has no markings, the frying pan and the handle. The weight in total is a tad over 1kg. The nylon strap accounts for the "tad" bit! I have never had a kettle with it.

battered

Guru
I'm not surprised the older ones are heavier, they are extremely solid and hard wearing. Mine are still pristine (no dents!) after 25 years of abuse. I have thinner ones (non Trangia) bought more recently that are not wearing as well, but they are non-stick and if my pal overheats them on the stove, they will burn. I've also learned that they aren't very good seats, they get dented.

Anyway, I had a trawl. Coleman do a Mini Cook kit, 2 pans, 2 pots/cups/lids, £16 delivered, weight 515g, anodised ally. Or an Exponent cook set, non stick, slightly bigger, 2 pans, lid, handle, £20, free postage, 425g. That's light.

All of these will do a job for you, my Trangia has been fantastic for years, but it's slow and I dislike carrying a rigid windshield around. I use cheap pans for most camping, if you don't abuse them they work well. Finally, I have Coleman pans for ultralight camping, they are very light but small and not too easy to live with. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Hexi stoves are fine and cheap to run as I gather dry twigs and feed the stove once I have it running with a small tablet. boils water in no time and plenty of free fuel and a more stable and adjustable base than a Trangia burner. Take both and use the hexi as a base for the trangis. Check out "cat stoves" if you insist on using alcohol.
I'm not surprised the older ones are heavier, they are extremely solid and hard wearing. Mine are still pristine (no dents!) after 25 years of abuse. I have thinner ones (non Trangia) bought more recently that are not wearing as well, but they are non-stick and if my pal overheats them on the stove, they will burn. I've also learned that they aren't very good seats, they get dented.

Anyway, I had a trawl. Coleman do a Mini Cook kit, 2 pans, 2 pots/cups/lids, £16 delivered, weight 515g, anodised ally. Or an Exponent cook set, non stick, slightly bigger, 2 pans, lid, handle, £20, free postage, 425g. That's light.

All of these will do a job for you, my Trangia has been fantastic for years, but it's slow and I dislike carrying a rigid windshield around. I use cheap pans for most camping, if you don't abuse them they work well. Finally, I have Coleman pans for ultralight camping, they are very light but small and not too easy to live with. You pays your money and you takes your choice.

OP
OP
thistler

thistler

Veteran
If it is just a cookset because you intend to cook on a cannister stove, the cheapest decent one I know is a set of Trangia pots of the 25 or 27 series. They are also sold separately from the stove part of the sets, and they are excellent and cheaper than most sets where you get far more than you want to take. A Trangia 27 pot, a frying pan (also serves as a lid) and a grip is all you need, for a total of 200 gram, and far less money.
Willem

no, I need the whole thing. I've got nothing at the moment. 

Thanks again for all the input - I think I will take Willem's advice and just save up until I can get the Trangia 25UL set. When I'm going solo I won't bring all the pans but when someone else comes along they will be useful.

I want to build a penny stove just because they are cool.

Thanks again for all the help!!!!

battered

Guru
Decent choice, they never let you down and you can use as much or as little of it as you need and want to carry. The smaller one (27) is enough for 1 person, 2 at a pinch, the extra weight and pack size of the bigger one (25, I think) is worth it if you cook for 3 (or have a big appetite!). One final bit of advice, don't bother with the mini Trangia, it's useless compared to the real thing.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
A good decision. It's also cheaper in the long-run to buy the right thing once rather than the wrong thing then the right thing later.

billflat12

Veteran
I was tempted by this set @ £10 (swedish retailer) ... bought some aluminum pedals too @ 4.99
http://www.clasohlson.co.uk/link/m3/Product,Product.aspx?artnr=34-3320

Had looked at trangia and this copy looked good value in my local store , have not had any problems using mine, cannot make any comparisons of performance to a trangia but it performs quite well to be honest. , there is no simmer ring with the stove and the securing strap is a bit flimsy . kit contains, burner, upper and lower wind shield, 2 cooking pots (1.25L and 1.5L), 1 frying pan (20 cm) and handle. full set weighs: 600 g.

willem

Über Member
This is a copy of an Optimus made Trangia lookalike. In some respects it is a clever design, but there are two drawbacks (I know, because I bought one and returned it). The first is that manufacturing quality is pretty low. The second is that in reality it is much heavier than 600 grams (I had bought it for the weight).
Willem

billflat12

Veteran
This is a copy of an Optimus made Trangia lookalike. In some respects it is a clever design, but there are two drawbacks (I know, because I bought one and returned it). The first is that manufacturing quality is pretty low. The second is that in reality it is much heavier than 600 grams (I had bought it for the weight).
Willem
willem did you use yours before returning it, I never expected anywhere near the same quality myself, mine weighs 615g on the kitchen scale and for just a tenner and a 2year guarantee its efficient and good value , I only ever used a mini gas stove ,1ltr pot an 1/2 ltr enamel mug before , now i defiantly will find it hard to justify spending 4-5 times more for a similar 25-1 ul trangia cook-set , weight 870g, what i did like about trangia though they do such a varied range and are very adaptable with options for gas or multi-fuel burners.

Top Bottom