Eurosport Player being dropped.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just found an email from them in my junk folder. I think that the update was badly written... It sounds like the website player is going but the Apple & Android apps will continue. That suits me because I either watch on my tablet or cast coverage from that to the Chromecast dongle on my TV.

Not sure if the same email gets sent to everyone or if it is customised depending upon logged in devices / usage.

It specifically states in mine that

”Your subscription and the same premium content you love will not be affected, except that you will no longer be able to access your subscription via Apple TV (as explained below). You can continue watching all your favourite sports on any of your other devices, by signing in at Eurosport.com or via the Eurosport app. “

How to continue watching on your devices

• On an Apple or Google mobile phone or tablet:

1. Delete the Eurosport Player app.

2. Download the Eurosport app from the Google or Apple app store if you haven’t already.

3. Sign in using your current username and password.

• If you watch on an Xbox, Playstation 4, Samsung TV, Android TV or Fire TV, sign in and watch as normal.“

My primary source of consumption appears to be the only one losing out 😒

ColinJ

I just had to delete the old app, and install another one to watch Strade Bianche. I tried to do it from my laptop but there was no cast button to send the coverage to my TV.

A very angry hint to the ***** in charge of this... Fans do NOT like to be taken to the results page when trying to watch their favourite sports. I saw the effing results before I could find the button to go and watch!!!!!! :banghead: :cursing:

Once I have finished watching the women's and men's races I will see if there is a setting to redirect away from the news page automatically.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
@ColinJ - if you've just installed the Eurosport app, somewhere there is a 'spoiler free' mode button or setting so you don't get to see the results.
The lack of an option to cast to the Chromecast is my main dislike with the new Eurosport app.

ColinJ

@ColinJ - if you've just installed the Eurosport app, somewhere there is a 'spoiler free' mode button or setting so you don't get to see the results.
Cheers - I'll have a look for it tomorrow after I watch the men's race. I enjoyed the women's race this evening.

The lack of an option to cast to the Chromecast is my main dislike with the new Eurosport app.
There wasn't one on the web player. I tried casting the Chrome tab but the quality was poor so I gave up on that.

I installed the new Android app and I did get a cast button on that - I used it this evening. It connected the app through to my Chromecast dongle and gave me a really good picture (and sound).

My Eurosport subscription lasts until July. I'll decide then whether to go GCN+ or Discovery+.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Oohh - you're right about the cast option - my phone was connecting to the home network rather than the BT wi-fi which the Chromecast is connected to.

The spoiler free option setting is under preferences.

ColinJ

The spoiler free option setting is under preferences.
Typical... after dumping the spoilers on me the first time I used the app, I just went to find that option and the app started up with a banner telling me about the spoiler free option! :laugh:

Anyway, that has now been selected - thanks.

PS That was on my phone. I'll fire up my tablet to see if the settings need to be done once per subscription, or once per device... Aargh - PER DEVICE - it showed me the spoilers again! :wacko:

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
Having a strange issue with race coverage on GCN+ through a Firestick in that at the start the picture quickly changes to a zoom of part of the picture and I have to go out of the coverage and back in to get a correct picture.

OldShep

Über Member
Having a strange issue with race coverage on GCN+ through a Firestick in that at the start the picture quickly changes to a zoom of part of the picture and I have to go out of the coverage and back in to get a correct picture.

We were getting exactly that using the Firestick around 3 months ago. reverted back to using a Mac connected to the TV. which works perfectly. The app on IOS also works without fault. I think the Fs app needs an urgent update.

ColinJ

Apparently, Eurosport don't realise that selecting spoiler-free mode also suggests that you don’t want sports result notifications either... FFS!

I switched my tablet on this morning and messages were popping up saying so and so won such and such... Now those have been turned off too. I suppose I will need to do the same on my phone...? (Yes - Notifications/Breaking news!)

ColinJ

I just got the message. It sounds like it is being phased out altogether. I imagine that they will just let our subs run out and then we will not be able to renew them.

Is GCN access still going to be available? If so, I will switch to that.

My Eurosport subscription lasts until July. I'll decide then whether to go GCN+ or Discovery+.
Hmm - I didn't get the chance... Eurosport just took another year's subscription off me! It seems that either (a) Eurosport is NOT being shut down, or (b) It IS being shut down but they took the money off me anyway! :wacko:

It is a bit annoying because I was going to switch to GCN+ and could probably have got a discounted subscription for the first year. Oh well - at least I will be able to keep up with winter sports in the off season! :laugh:

Top Bottom