Eurostar discount.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Why go to Paris? Lots to see in kent.
Recommendations of places to go and things to see in Kent would be appreciated. We plan to go to Paris and central London for a day then 3 days in Kent.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Recommendations of places to go and things to see in Kent would be appreciated. We plan to go to Paris and central London for a day then 3 days in Kent.

Off the top of my head.

If you like Castles. There some crackers.
Bodium
Leeds
Hever
Dover
Canterbury Cathedral
Rochester, with not so far, the Historic Chatham Dockyard & The Royal Engineers Museum

If you like your beer The Shepard Neame brewery in Faversham is worth a visit

Zoo's
Howletts
Port Lympne
Wingham
Eagle Heights in Eynsford (not far from Dartford) is well worth a visit

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway with a visit to Dungeness

Sharky

Guru
Shopping - bluewater. Not my cup of tea, but some like it. Open till late.

National trust places ightham mote, knole house

Dover castle and the white cliffs and the war tunnels.

Kent coast towns margate ramsgate broadstairs walks along the coast.

Roman villa at eynsford. walk along the river darenth

Darwins home

Farningham is a nice place to go for an evening drink

Some ideas anyway

Cheers

Sharky

Guru
We are in Dartford for a few days, time is restricted as we are dropping our daughter off at Performers, a summer school type thing each day so the ferry isn’t an option. The 31st is the only day we have more time to do Paris as our daughter isn’t back till 11.30pm that day.
Curious now, so don't say if you don't want to, but where is the Performance school? Not the Pauline Quirk place in Longfield?
That's where I live!

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Curious now, so don't say if you don't want to, but where is the Performance school? Not the Pauline Quirk place in Longfield?
That's where I live!
Thanks for all your info, much appreciated. The Performers College is actually over the bridge in Essex, Stanford Le Hope.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Don't try and bring back more than one bottle of wine on Eurostar. They'll confiscate it.

Edit: sorry, they changed that after a bit of an outcry. I think it's four bottles now.
I think it's back to as much as you like as long as you don't drink more than a bottle on the journey.

You can just still get London-Brussels cheaper as part of a DB "Sparpreis London" but that's ending soon because Eurostar are changing their computers and being unhelpful about letting DB keep on booking tickets.

I don't know of similar deals on Paris. When Eurostar prices go up, the cheapest route to Paris is often via the Newhaven ferry IIRC but it's slower than even using Dover-Calais, although the transfer is easier. A Portsmouth route can be done overnight, which sometimes makes sense.

Sharky

Guru
If you are staying on the kent side, the dartford brige/tunnel/m25 can be very busy on the mornings

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
If you are staying on the kent side, the dartford brige/tunnel/m25 can be very busy on the mornings
Unfortunately my wife booked all this, apparently Dartford was the nearest place to stay so we’ve booked The Hilton. My Daughter has to be at performers at 9.30 am so traffic may have eased a littlle and she finishes a little later too, whatever my wife says I still think traffic will be a nightmare.
I’m not really too happy with the whole situation, my daughter could have stayed with a family, that’s what many of the summer school students do. This is all costing a small fortune.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
If you are going to do the crossing more than 4 times, I think it will be worth opening a pre-pay Dart Charge account and get the discount.
Normal charge £2.50 : with an account £2.

But please check the numbers

alicat

Legendary Member
Does it have to be Paris? If you can set off a bit earlier (on the 09:12) then you can get a return trip to Lille or Brussels for the two of you for £186.

Sharky

Guru
Will do, thank you.
If you have an account, payment is taken automatically. If you don't, you have to ring up or pay online within 24 hrs, so having an account is a lot easier.

I am lucky, that I am a "local resident", so I get about 50 trips a year for £10

OP
OP
Spiderweb

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Does it have to be Paris? If you can set off a bit earlier (on the 09:12) then you can get a return trip to Lille or Brussels for the two of you for £186.
Timing isn’t flexible I’m afraid, we have to get our daughter to the college at a specific time each day. My wife also loves Paris, we spent a few days there early on in our relationship.

Top Bottom