Eurovelo 6 - anything special on the route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I'll probably be doing a substantial part of Eurovelo 6 this summer - from teh Atlantic coast to Basel. The maps arrived in the post this morning and that will do as far as planning goes for now.

It look like an interesting route with lots of suitable distractions indicated on the maps.

Has anyone ridden the route? Anything special to look out for?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Can you post an online map so we can have a rough idea of where you're going and then we can help??

Sounds fab, btw.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Here's a link to the Eurovelo 6 web site.

http://www.eurovelo6.org/

I'm very excited about the tour as I'll be cycling down through Britanny to the start and will double back from Basel to Beaune to catch the European bike Express back.

The only planning that I intened to do is a packing list for the tour - only minor amendments to last year's list needed.

Sorting out a ferry to Brittanny and booking a one way trip with European Bike Express.

Then I'll take each day between the two fixed points as they come...

The official map pack is great.

Shooting off now for an Audax then will be packing cycle camping gear for a mini tour starting next weekend.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Not sure if you're planning to do the Loire Valley stretch but I've literally just done it. Gorgeous place.

Saumur is a lovely old town. Chenonceaux was our favourite chateau. Villandry gardens should be stunning the summer. AMAZING troglodyte B&B (www.troglododo.fr) which is definitely worth treating yourself to.

andym

Über Member
Assuming that you are going to St Malo you could take the voie verte which goes from Dinard via Dinan along the Canal D'Ille-et-Rance to Rennes. You can then, follow the Vilaine to Arzal and then the voie verte along the coast to pick up the EuroVelo 6.

Alternatively there is another voie verte from Dinard via dinan to Plouasne and then from Mauron to Quetembert via Malestroit where you could Nantes-Brest canal.

Maps and downloads here:

http://www.randobreizh.org/zonedifferenciee/VeloroutesVoiesVertesBretagneVoie2.php

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Cathryn said:
Not sure if you're planning to do the Loire Valley stretch but I've literally just done it. Gorgeous place.

Saumur is a lovely old town. Chenonceaux was our favourite chateau. Villandry gardens should be stunning the summer. AMAZING troglodyte B&B (www.troglododo.fr) which is definitely worth treating yourself to.

The Loire is firmly on the agenda. I've driven along the route albeit 25 years ago and in the opposite direction to what I'm aiming to do this year. When drivi8ng the route, the principle aim was to get to Brittany as fast as possible. I'll have a lot more time on my hands this year.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

andym said:
Assuming that you are going to St Malo you could take the voie verte which goes from Dinard via Dinan along the Canal D'Ille-et-Rance to Rennes. You can then, follow the Vilaine to Arzal and then the voie verte along the coast to pick up the EuroVelo 6.

Alternatively there is another voie verte from Dinard via dinan to Plouasne and then from Mauron to Quetembert via Malestroit where you could Nantes-Brest canal.

Maps and downloads here:

http://www.randobreizh.org/zonedifferenciee/VeloroutesVoiesVertesBretagneVoie2.php

MMmmmm.... an interesting extension :wacko:

Thanks for that. I might be gone for longer than originally planned....

andym

Über Member
vernon said:
MMmmmm.... an interesting extension :wacko:

Thanks for that. I might be gone for longer than originally planned....

Yes, except that I did wonder whether there's a point at which you get fed up with river/canal towpaths.

Oh and on the subject of the Loire valley there's the museum devoted to Leonard de Vince (aka Leonardo da Vinci) which I think is in the chateau d'Amboise.

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

andym said:
Yes, except that I did wonder whether there's a point at which you get fed up with river/canal towpaths.

Oh and on the subject of the Loire valley there's the museum devoted to Leonard de Vince (aka Leonardo da Vinci) which I think is in the chateau d'Amboise.

I'm not one for slavishly sticking to recommended routes if there's something of interest or a route that offers respite from monotony then I'll take it. Having said that the official maps cover a broad corridor that embraces the core route so I'm not too afraid of taking detours.

PackDonkey

Eurovelo 6 info

Hello from a brand new member. My partner and I are contemplating tackling Eurovelo 6, possibly in the spring/summer of 2011.

We have to date completed around 8500km of self-guided touring in France, Germany and Switzerland, in five tours of between three and five weeks, all in June/early July, using our own bikes (Scott S2 Roadsters) and staying in B&Bs and hotels. We carry rear panniers and handlebar bags only.

As we live in South Africa, the logistics of touring in Europe are relatively complicated, so we would most likely acquire suitable touring bikes and equipment in Europe for this particular tour.

We would welcome feedback from anyone who has recently completed the entire route; time to complete, accommodation, type of bikes used, state of the cycle paths/tracks etc.

An email address is available for personal contact: Krmalherbe@gmail.com

Happy cycling!

albal

Guru
I will be riding part of it from Chalon sur saone to bratislava, any idea how far that is? starting May 22. Is there a GPS for a garmin around anywhere? not too fussed about sticking to the EV6, just amble along the general direction.

Top Bottom