Eurovelo 6, from Mulhouse to Ulm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dimrub

Apologies for a lengthy into full of trivia well known to everyone on this forum, the reason is that I'm copying it from my personal blog, where it can be (potentially) read by laymen.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a man in possession of a bicycle, must be in want of a worthy travel goal. Nobody knows why is this the case, but in my opinion at least, the proposition of riding around and about on random roads and paths, no matter how picturesque, seems much less attractive than, say, riding from the Atlantic to the Black Sea. And just so it happens that that's exactly what we are trying to do, me and Daniel my eldest.

image.png

Back in 2019, when we rode along the Danube from Passau on the German-Austrian border to Vienna (340 km) we just wanted to ride somewhere where, as we knew, great infrastructure existed for cyclists. Daniel was then 14 years old, and on some of the climbs I had to stop and wait for him, sometimes providing encouragement (jumping ahead, the roles have reversed by now). Next year we decided to explore the German side of the River, from Ulm to Passau (403 km) - at this point we realized that from a chance Destination the Danube has become a Goal, and this year we found a way to incorporate this Goal into a bigger one. And this Goal is called Eurovelo 6.

image-1.png
See, there exists a network of pan-European cycling highways called Eurovelo. Calling them highways might sound like a bit of a misnomer, given that in many places they are manifested on the ground by nothing more than a sign at a street corner, and in others they stitch together various local bicycle paths and routes, but nevertheless they have their identities and they have the span that can give a run for its money to many an actual highway. One such a route is called Eurovelo 6, and it is also called the "route of the rivers", because it passes along the three great European rivers: the Loire, the Rhine and the Danube. Supposedly, it's one of the most popular cycling routes in Europe.

image-2.png
We were now well on our way towards covering EV6 in stages, so this year we decided to continue in the same venue, and finish at Ulm, backtracking based on whatever reasonable distance we can cover in a week. Given that this inevitably meant some substantial climbs, we decided to limit ourselves to just a modest increase in distance compared to the previous year, so after some vigorous mucking around with Komoot, the route was determined. It had its start in Mulhouse, France, it then went through Basel and other Swiss cities on the Rhine, reached the Constance Lake (also known as the Bodensee) and then went over the Rhine-Danube watershed towards Tuttlingen upon the Danube, whereupon we were faced with a choice: either continue downstream the Danube, thus skipping 20-some kilometers of the river upstream from Tuttlingen, or take a train to Donaueschingen, considered the location of one of several official sources of the Danube, then ride downstream. This route was supposed to result in about 450 km of distance and slightly more than 3000 m of elevation gain.

The original plan was to fly in late March, during the Passover vacation, but geopolitics interfered. The war in Ukraine caused many a plan to get postponed or canceled, including our little adventure. Finally, with Daniel's school over, we were able to reschedule - to late July - early August. There were some minute concerns about travelling in the peak season, and somewhat heftier concerns about the record heat wave washing over Europe, but we pushed on, planning, making reservations, preparing our gear.

Last year we flew into Munich, rented the bicycles there, did our trip, returned to Munich, returned the bicycles and flew back. This year we were flying through a single city too - Zurich this time - so I considered renting bicycles again. Alas, this was first of many times when we discovered that prices in Switzerland are much higher than in any of the surrounding countries. Renting a half decent bicycle would cost us almost twice as much bringing our own. So we decided to bring our own. In case of Daniel this also meant buying a new bicycle for him, since he decidedly grew out of his old MTB, which is not a good fit for this kind of trips anyway. It also meant arranding for bicycles to be transported. Luckily for us, one exception to the rule "everything is more expensive in Switzerland" is flying with a bicycle using Swiss Airlines, which turned out to be free. To be exact, you can send your bicycle instead of a suitcase, as part of your luggage alottment, and this is exactly what we did. We looted a nearby bicycle store for boxes, packed our bicycles in them, and drove to the airport with the bicycles in the back of my Hyundai Ioniq.

image-3.png
The departure hall was packed with people. We, with our bicycle boxes on the trolley added our fair share to the conjestion. Luckily, when I pointed out to the attendants that we will not be able to navigate the line with our oversized luggage, we were given the go-ahead at least towards the security check, bypassing the line. Then it was the check-in line, where luggage stickers were slapped on our boxes, then off to another line for oversized luggage, where more stickers were slapped, and finally I moved the boxes to another trolley inside the elevator for oversized luggage, and we said goodbye to the bikes, hoping to meet them safe and sound on the other side.

image-5.png
With enough time to even grab a quick lunch at the food court, we arrived at the gate in plenty of time. I'm usually travelling with a carry-on, so I'm trying to be among the first to board, in order to find a convenient spot for my luggage. This time it was just one pannier with a shoulder strap and one handlebar bag, so no hurry. We took off almost on time, and landed in time, with nothing extraordinary in-between. And once we reached the luggage hall and passed by trolleys upon trolleys full with luggage (probably belonging to people who waited for their luggage in vain and went home luggage-less), we found our bicycles already waiting for us.

We unpacked and put them together - and lo! Everything was in perfect working order. We each made a small mistake with our bikes. Daniel has attached the rear rack so that it was not exactly parallel to the ground - it caused no noticeable problems throughout our trip. Whereas I attached my handlebar too low, and the saddle - too high, which caused some problems down the road - I felt numbness in my fingers. My lesson - mark everything on the bicycle, so as not to think where everything goes during the reassembly. Anyway, in no time we were out of the actual airport, and into the mall. We dropped into a supermarket, bought some snacks for the evening, discovered how expensive everything was, and went downstairs, to wait for a train to Basel, where we were staying for the night.

It is said that the Swiss train system is a paragon of exactitude, a real national symbol, on par with cheese, chocolate and cute red penknives. But beginner's luck has intervened, and we waited for our train for almost half an hour on top of the designated time. Finally it was here, so we boarded it, and were on our way. There was just one issue: turns out we had to buy not just a ticket for ourselves, but also one for our bikes. This was explained to us by a conductor, who then proceeded to collect this fee (with a bit over, for "just in time" service).

image-6.png
Finally, we're in Basel, and it's pretty late-o-clock. Luckily, our hotel is just next door from the station, so we quickly check-in, discover we can't recharge our electronics due to Swiss having their own electricity plugs, and go to sleep. After a reasonably early breakfast, we packed up and checked out. Due to some mishap with the schedule we still had about 40 minutes before the train to Mulhouse, so we climbed a hill nearby and took in the first landscape of the trip.

Back at the station, we went straight to the train, with plenty of time, or so we thought. The first car we tried to board was full: no place for our bikes. So was the second. We were running out of cars, so we boarded the last one, lack of any place for our bikes whatsoever be damned, and stayed in the vestibule. This was a first class car, so we decided against leaving our bikes and taking a seat. Here's another lesson: when travelling with a bike by train in Europe, especially during a high season, board the train as soon as it's there, otherwise you may well end up missing it, due to the limited number of bike spots.

image-7.png
A conductor came through, saw us stuck in the vestibule like a fishbone in a throat, with our bikes almost but not entirely blocking the passage, realized we hardly speak any French, and left us be. Soon we were over the border and not long afterwards the train pulled into Mulhouse. Our next challenge was leaving the train station. The exit was on a level above that of the platform. There was an elevator, but it was too small for a bicycle. We ended up taking the stairs, with our loaded bikes. Welcome to France!

image-8.png
Anyway, once out of the station, and away from the people smoking nearby, we were finally on our bikes, and soon were riding alongside the canal, sometimes losing it for a while in favor of residential areas. There were quite a few other cyclists, mostly road bikers speeding by us on their training rides, but also some long rangers like ourselves. The heat was not oppresive, and we were enjoying ourselves. Soon we were at Pont du Bouc, where one of the heated battles of World War II took place. On our side of the channel was a gun, one of those that lobbed tens of thousands of mortars at the enemy on that day, and on the other side - a tank. We then continued to another important landmark - an ALDI.

image-9.png image-11.png
Daniel has this fascination with european discount networks. Whenever he sees an ALDI or a LIDL sign, his eyes light up and he insists on making a stop. This time I had no objection: clearly it was better to stop for shopping on this side of the border with Switzerland. So we diverted off our route towards the ALDI south of Kembs. And a good thing we did. As we were passing Kembs, we suddenly heard music playing over megaphones from behind, and a sound of many engines. We realized that some kind of procession is overtaking us, and stopped to watch. Car after car passed by, at close to walking speed, and in every one a person riding shotgun threw out - at us - something: a few toffies, a journal, a key ring, a bag or a can of soft drink. I later looked up: apparently, this all was part of the festivities due to Tour Alsace.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO4B-iMORDTN_rHaxexzntATI-oQzv9EL3pDyyK

Once the procession was gone, we finally made it to ALDI, bought all we needed, and then did our way back towards the route, continuing along Canal de Huningue. Soon I noticed some signage, which we recognized as a planets trail. Alas, this one was not as well developed as the one we passed last year, near Vilshofen an der Danube (see? This one even has a dedicated web site). Still, these are fun to ride by, waiting for the next planet to appear.

image-12.png The choice of the planet coincidental, no pun or stupid joke was indended.
There being only 8 planets, we soon ran out, and Basel began. We crossed a couple of bridges (me getting slightly disoriented for a moment there), and soon were riding along boulevard lining the embankments, along railway tracks leading into industrial zones, along quiet residental areas until finally we made it to another bridge, full of pedestrians and cyclists, decorated with lots and lots of Swiss flags (took us 2 full days to realize why), leaving no doubt that we're in the very center of Basel (I looked it up now. It's called, quite creatively, the "middle bridge").

image-14.png
We planned to stop and explore the city, so we locked the bikes on the other side of the bridge, and declared a consult. Daniel noticed there is a whole lot of people in the water, floating on a rather strong current underneath us, holding to some kind of buoys. We crossed back to the northern side of the river and found a sign. Apparently, this is what the locals (the Baselites?) do when it's as hot as it is now: they plop into the water with a buoy that goes for 20 CHF, then float for a while, then get out of the river again, still in the allowed territory. Daniel immediately decided he needs to do this too. Buoys were not to be had, and he didn't bring a swimming suit, so in he went in his pants, and I followed him from the shore.

image-14.png
Next we sat at a riverside cafe, enjoying our platter of cheese and charcouterie, with some nice lemonade, and then, with Daniel partially dry, went to explore the city. I think we didn't do it justice with making just a small round of the very center, only going into the cathedral and stopping for bubble tea, but still, we got an impression of a fun and vibrant city.

We now had a challenge ahead of us: leaving this vibrant city while in one piece. We were riding on very busy streets, with lots of cars, not to mention trams. However, it's the way it always is: one moment you're in the center of a city, fighting traffic, navigating through your gritted teeth, then boom - you're out of it, riding through a field, or a forest, or along a canal. This time there was a short intermediate step of some kind of summer party and the hoardes of youths flocking to it regardless of cycling traffic, but never mind that, we were soon in the suburbs interspersed with wide green parks, and about an hour later - in Rheinsfelden, our destination for today. Well, to be exact, we rode through Rheinsfelden, over the Rhine bridge, and into the German city of Rheinsfelden (Baden), where we soon found our hotel, thanks to Napoleon Buonoparte.

I should probably explain. Up until the beginning of the 19th century this whole area, including both banks of the Rhine, belonged to Switzerland, which was then a loose confederation of the constituent cantons. At some point during his tumultous rise to power, Napoleon has attacked, then conquered Switzerland, and the Helvetic Republic, friendly to France, was founded. Napoleon has also founded the Rhine Confederation, made up of several German states strung along the Rhine (so he was the first unifier of Germany, some half century before Bismarck) and perhaps for reasons of simplicity, perhaps for some other reason, he decided that the new border between the Republic and the Confederation will be the middle of the river Rhine. This means that quite a few riverside cities and towns, sprawled across both banks of the river, were now divided, each sprawling its own bank. This also means that a modern tourist has the option of travelling along the Southern, more interesting bank, but sleeping, eating and shopping across the river, in Germany, where everything is oh so much cheaper. Why don't businesses on the Swiss side of the border stay in business is a mystery to me.

So stay on the German side we did. This night in particular we were staying at a hotel which grew out of a Chinese restaurant. I think this was the best hotel we had on this trip - it even had an A/C! Daniel was exhausted, so he stayed at the hotel. As for me, alerted by the word 'Baden' in the name of the town, I checked whether there are any thermal baths around - and there were! Nothing like a sauna at the end of a day in the saddle, so I walked back into Switzerland, and into the spa center there. When I got back, Daniel was fast asleep, and wouldn't rise for dinner, so I went all by myself to the Chinese restaurant downstairs, and it was wonderful: a chinese style duck and a glass of cold wine on an outside terrase with candles on the tables and sun out of the picture - a perfect ending for a perfect first day of the trip.

To be continued...

Last edited:

JB052

Excellent

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

The breakfast at the Chinese restaurant/hotel did not disappoint. Mind you, there was nothing Chinese about it whatsoever - it was a quintessential German breakfast, only on steroids. We had our bicycles extracted from the locked cage where they were kept safe, and went out. On the way we passed the town center with its share of Ukrainian flags and a table spread out with donations gathering for the refugees, then we were out of the town, rode by the spa I went to the day before, and we were out in the woods.

On the first day we rode 65 km, and on this second day the plan was to ride even less, due to 300-some meters of elevation gain. When significant climbs failed to materialize I first blamed Komoot, but then realized I need to start recalibrating my expectations in terms of our abilities: it appears the kid has grown, and I'm the limiting factor now, and I'm able to ride more, with ease. We'll get back to this point when I describe our plans for the next year, but for now, there wasn't much we can do about it, so we were sticking to the route, taking it easy.

We were in a very picturesque area, at times riding by the Rhine (alas, for the most part hidden behind dense trees) sometimes crossing fields with an occasional large mill in the distance - alas, these days the mills are not as picturesque as when they were driven by the wind. For lunch, or rather snack we decided to stop at a town of Laufenburg. Alas, not only it was a Sunday, but some kind of special Sunday, so that absolutely everything was closed. We rode all the way to the Rhine, and saw an open cafe across the bridge, on the German side, so we crossed the border.

This was an Italian cafe/gelato place, but we didn't fancy ice cream for some reason, and went for a baguette instead. The waiter insisted on interspersing his speach with Italian words, which I assumed first to be just a gimmick, but when he counted in Italian, I was persuaded. There was much livelier traffick of travellers along this side of the river, including motorbike riders, so after a short discussion we decided to go back to Switzerland and continue on the original track.

The promised steep climbed failed to materialize. Instead, at the end of a not at all steep climb we were greeted to a sight of a family of deer:

image-17.png
And so we rode on.

image-18.png
Our destination for today was the town of Bad Zurzach - a small town built on top of a hot spring. We arrived pretty early and rode by a park in the center of the town were preparations of some kind of event were in high gear. We arrived at our hotel, which again was more of a restaurant than of a hotel, and was also undergoing some kind of rennovation. Still, it had a lovely inner yard where we put our bikes, and the staff were very friendly, but our roof was on a third floor, and no elevators in this old historic building. Again I couldn't miss the opportunity and went to the spa center, and again Daniel stayed at the hotel.

This and the previous spas had a rather unique feature which I haven't witnessed before. It's kind of like a sense deprivation tank, but very different. It's a circular pool of decent size, but very shallow - maybe 40 cm, with warm and salty water. The room is mostly dark, only lighted by a square skylight, through which the clouds can be seen sailing by. You lie back, close your eyes (or not) and listen to the music being played through the water. It is an absolutely marvellous relaxing feeling, I want one at my home when I grow up.

On my way back from the spa I passed by the park again, where the event was now in full swing, consisting of locals eating many a bratwurst and washing it down with many a mug of beer. I could hold my curiosity no longer, and looked it up. Turns out the next day, August 1, is the Day of Switzerland, which I guess is what goes for Independence Day in countries that have long outlived any of the countries who dared to threaten their independence. That meant that stores will be closed tomorrow as well! That was unacceptable. Daniel, aside from his fascination with ALDI and LIDL, also feeds on raspberries, when in Europe. He gets it from his mother, who gets it from childhood in an area where various berries, raspberries in particular, were abundant, as opposed to the situation in Israel, where they aren't. So we'd be going for 2 straight days without 'berries! I went back to the hotel and we schemed. We'll cross over to Germany tomorrow morning, stock up on berries, then ride back and through the festive country.

And so we did:

image-19.png
And so we rode on, losing ourselves in the landscapes, such as this:

image-20.png
Daniel lost himself to a degree that he dropped me, and then missed a turn. I had to pedal hard to catch up to him, all the while screaming at the top of my lungs, which interfered with my efforts of catching up. This added almost a kilometer to our distance that day, and also I daresay the sleepy town we were riding through has not heard such screams for a long time, and given I was screaming in Hebrew - perhaps never.

We rolled on, occasionally stopping at water fountains.

image-21.png image-22.png
Water fountains in Switzerland are cool. I mean this both literally and figuratively: they are functional, providing cool water to travelers and passers by. I guess this is how it used to be back in the ancient Greece and Rome, where fountains were where citizens filled up their amphoras or whatever they used for water. I'm sure Bernini's fountain of four rivers would be even better if one could fill up one's bottle from it.

We had just one climb this day, but it was a massive one, so we stopped for a quick dip in the Rhine ahead of it.

image-23.png
After the rather steep 100m climb we had an equally steep and much more enjoyable decline. We continued on towards Rheinau, where the Rhine is making a loop, and where a beautiful abbey is located. The Komoot community held a promise of a great restaurant there, called Buck. We got there, and the view was indeed gorgeous. We then made a crucial mistake: we had a full blown lunch. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with that, with just 11 km left to go till the destination? Well, the lunch was great, and the cider we drank with it too. We then made our way towards the Rhein falls. Something is fishy there with the EV6, the signs started going crazy, but we did manage to find the touristy spot from which people observe the might of nature (but mostly eat, drink and buy souvenirs). We were not that impressed. We've seen the Niagara Falls. I mean, there's plenty of restaurants, souvenir shops, and even casinos right next to the Niagara, but it's all somewhat remote, so that if one stands just right, one can be one on one with the Nature. Not so near the Schaffhausen, where the hotels, the souvenirs shops and the eateries surround you from all sides, and the noise of the touristy folks manages to shut out even the waterfall.

image-24.png
So we hang around for a little bit and pushed on. And now the Garmin thingy went bananas on us. First it took us through the city, which is fine, but then it took us over the bridge back to the eastern side - and then up a very steep - and completely unnecessary - climb. I was so exhausted what's with the heat, the full blown lunch and the ride, that I couldn't take it and dismounted, then did what I should have done the moment I suspected Garmin is misbehaving - checked on my phone. We were off the route. We went back to the river, over the bridge and along the embankment (which would have been lovely have I not been exhausted) and soon where at the door to our hotel, which was closed.

Turns out this was yet another hotel that grew out of a restaurant, this time - a tex-mext establishment, and a little sign told us to either walk around to the restaurant door, or to call a number - and someone will come over to open the door. We did the latter and the door was indeed opened. The hotel is also themed around the tex-mex thing, I guess - there were various furniture items one usually does not find in a hotel room, such as a huge wooden chest. Also, for some reason, my last name was written on the blackboard attached to the outside of the room door. Anyway, the room was large, the floor fan - powerful, and the food at the restaurant downstairs, when we finally went down, delicious.

1660937812817.png

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

The next day we would be leaving Switzerland. It was also time we took care of some issues with their bikes. For one thing, Daniel's Ortlieb handlebar bag needed to be finally attached to the handlebar - we couldn't do it because our attachment cable was too short: someone who attached it to some older bike didn't know what he was doing, and cut it way too short. Also, my brakes were screeching like a banshee, and I was thinking maybe my pads are gone. There was two bicycle stores in Schaffhausen, but one was closed for a vacation and another had a bunch of negative reviews, from which it became clear that the guy only wants to sell bikes and service those he sold, and anybody else coming in asking for help is sent away, quite rudely. So we continued to the town called Stein Am Rhein, where there was supposed to be a nice cycling shop.

But first, we rode through this sunflower field:

image-28.png
The town of Stein Am Rhein was lovely, and so was the bicycle shop, that was also a cafe, serving nice home made ice tea at some outside tables, just in time for the weather. We sat and took in the atmosphere of the main square of a medieval Swiss town, while the good folks took care of our bikes. In the end they managed to attach the bag with the existing cable, and the brakes issue was due to some dirt on the rotor, so by the time we drank our tea we were ready to hit the road again. And so we bid farewell to the Republica Helvetica:

image-29.png
And were now riding alongside the shores of Lake Constance, or Bodensee. Many a beach beckoned, so we stopped for a quick dip. It was a private beach, and a fee was required, but it wasn't excessive, so we paid and entered. Too bad, later we rode by municipal beaches that, while just as well equipped, were free. The Bodensee is not a fun place to swim in. At first, and for a long time, the water is too warm and shallow. Then, by the time you're practically in the middle, where the ferries ride, the temperature and the bottom suddenly drop. We swam for a bit, then dried up in the shade and rode on. I was told scary stuff about the city of Radolfzell, where we were supposed to take a turn towards the Danube finally, but in the end if was a nice city: first we rode along the embankment, full of cafes and skateboard parks, and then it was a short ride inside the city proper, but with good bicycle paths or quiet streets, and then out of the city, riding on a dedicated path running alongside a highway. Then it was rolling hills of the Southern Germany, and some apple orchards, which reminded us the Wachau region of Austria, all the way to our destination for today.

On the way we met first of quite a few of these curious inventions called Milchhäusle (or the "milk shed", I guess). It's a shed on the side of the road, inside which there are several vending machines, selling local produce of various sorts - sausages, cheese, bread, etc., and one special machine pouring out fresh milk, into a bottle provided by the customer. Some of the sheds also sold such reusable bottles. Usually there was also either a vending machine or a fridge with ice creams, with little wooden spoons inside. In the latter case the money would be dropped into a money box, honor system being in place. Some of these places were quite elaborate, selling also local souvenirs and even styled as cafes, with outside sitting, tables with utensils and napkins and whatnot, and even bathrooms.

image-30.png
I found them absolutely lovely. Making a break with a small portion of ice cream at such a hot day - priceless.

image-31.png
Our destination was a hotel inside a children farm/amusement park at a site of an old water mill, with donkeys and rabbits and ducks and the rest of the usual menagerie. The place was full of families with small children, and we were the only cyclists. It was a nice place, well designed, the only issue really was that there was a really enormous number of flies in all the common areas: at the reception and in the restaurant outside.

The breakfast the next day was a poor affair indeed. Aside from the everpresent flies, there was very little food, and no vegetables whatsoever. I voiced an assumption that all the veggies were fed to the farm animals, but then shouldn't we have expected their active participation in the fare, in a form of hams of all kinds?

We now had the hardest climb of the trip ahead of us. We were starting the morning with over 400 m of climb in the first 15 km. It was pretty steep too at times, but still well within the reach of our gravel gears. We made a few stops, but mostly it was just down to the lowest gear and grind-grind-grind. At last we were up, and at the highest point of our trip, and were awarded with some pretty nice views.

image-32.png image-33.png image-34.png
The the climb was over, and the long, rather steep, and invariably exhilarating decline into Tuttlingen has began. We flew by the trees surrounding the road, with speeds in excess of 60 kmh, and in no time at all we were in Tuttlingen, our first point on the route touching the Danube. It was time to decide then, whether we continue towards Beuron, our destination for the day, or take a train to Donaueschingen and add another 36 km to our route. There was nothing to it, we were fresh and strong, and we were not missing a single kilometer of the Danube!

We rode down to the train station, passing through an obligatory ALDI nearby. The train, when it arrived, was tiny: just two cars, but it did have a dedicated space for the bikes, and we boarded early enough to take them. We left the train station and started looking for the source of the Danube, but it turnes out not to be easy to find. Or maybe we were looking in the wrong place? Anyway, this marker is the best we could do:

image-35.png
We decided that, being no Livingstones, this is as much time as we can take away from the river itself in order to find its source, we'd better start riding, and that we did.

image-36.png
I'm not sure you can see it in this photo, but there's a lot of fish in this river here. Along the banks there were several signs describing the fish that lives there, including the Bachforelle, which is apparently a kind of a trout (and I was of course reminded of Beethoven's quote that Bach should have been called not brook but sea).

image-37.png
In a couple of hours - or maybe three - we made it back to Tuttlingen and continued onwards to our destination - the small town of Beuron. Our Garmin led us through the town until there was no more of it, and all that was remaining was a sign towards a single building on a very steep hill. Yep, that was our refuge for the night, the Maria Trost... what? Hotel? Lodging house? I'm not sure. Anyway, there were crosses everywhere, including the rooms, and the thing was run by a couple of youths: he went everywhere in his socks, and she spoke very quick German. But my grievances are not related to footwear or linguistics, but rather to gastronomy. To be exact, there was no restaurant here. Well, there was, as was stated on booking.com, but apparently they only open it for groups of ten or more - what a strange hospitality! We had no choice but to ride back into town, and do it even without taking a shower, because time was running out, and the few options we did have were going to close for the day soon.

We found two eateries, one was some kind of bikers' cafe, but it didn't seem to have the menu befitting our refined palate. The other was a nice restaurant, and there I've embarassed myself, taking a monk from a nearby monastery for a waiter. I quickly realized my mistake and apologized profusely, and everything was fine. We were seated, and I had my Bachforelle.

We then had to climb back up that steep hill. Granted, the view from our room was magnificent.

image-38.png

OP
OP
dimrub

dimrub

Our sixth day was not special in any way. Just plain old blissful riding on packed gravel trails through shaded forests, rolling hills and views of the mountains and the river.

image-39.png image-40.png image-41.png image-42.png image-43.png
There was one rather strange accident that took place in the city of Sigmaringen, where we stopped for coffe mid-day. We took a table at a local bäckerei, putting our bags and helmets on it, and went in to order. When we came back with the tray of goods, there was a man sitting at our table, drinking coffee. I was apalled, but after a while recovered from the shock and approached him, pointing out that this is our table. Has he not seen that the table is taken? "But all the other tables are busy", he replied. I, becoming increasingly angry, retorted that well, this table is taken too - by us! At this point a woman at a nearby table, either ashamed by the behavior of her compatriot, or by me making a scene, said that she was just leaving and we can have her table. I mean, is that customary in these parts to disregard people reserving their table?

Anyway, later that day we arrived at Herbertingen, where our accommodation, another restaurant-cum-hotel, was yet again located at the top of a steep climb. And yet again a very nice view out of the window, to the local landmark, church of st. Verena:

image-44.png
As is my custom, I'm happy to report, that the restaurant was great (I had fish again) and the breakfast next morning was... ok. One of the folks at the restaurant tried talking Swabian with me and, of course, I couldn't understand a single word, but we had a nice conversation afterwards in the regular German.

At last, the seventh, last day of our journey. It always feels special to me when the bicycle signage shows your destination for the first time - and so it was that some time during the day we saw for the first time the distance to Ulm. It was our longest day - 85 km with some 400 m of climb, and Daniel was worried about the forecast, that promised thunderstorms and showers, but later in the day, so we started early - at 7:45 we were already in the saddle, and this turned out a great idea. The sky was cloudy and the temperature quite, well, temperate, and we were gobbling up kilometers like so many meters. It felt like that episode of Seinfeld where George was making "incredible time": you're on such a wave that you just want to keep on riding. At some point you do have to stop, so we did, once at an automatic cafe (consisting of vending machines and outside seating) and once at this lovely town:

image-45.png

And then we were entering Ulm, first riding along some railway tracks, then we were on the embankment with the New Ulm across the river from us, and then we left Danube for the last time, rode through the Fisherman's Quarter and into view of the Munster where, we rememebered, our hotel was located - same one from which we started our journey last year. The loop was closed.

Our journey back home next day went pretty smoothly. We took a turn around the center of Ulm and bought the obligatory souvenirs. We took an early train (or rather three) to Zurich airport, making the connections in time. We found a place in the airport that dispenses free bicycle boxes and packing material (for those interested - it's check-in area 1, the supervisor's desk) and packed and sent our bikes. We still had tons of time, so we took a train to Zurich, left our stuff at the locker and walked around the city,

image-47.png
even having lunch at the restaurant where I first had raclette some 12 years ago:

image-46.png
And then it was time to fly home. We took a last train back to the airport and soon where at the gate. Again, our bicycles made the trip with no problems whatsoever.

This was an amazing experience for both of us, and I know that for certain because even before the trip was over, Daniel has already started talking about the next one. And we know in general terms what that will look like. 13 days of riding approximately 95 km per day in France, to cover the remaining western part of EV6, plus a small addition so as to finish in Strassbourg, plus a day of rest in the middle, with the majority of nights camping. Can't wait!

Top Bottom