Eurovision ~ Malmö, 2024

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
I've had something of an argument with a sibling over Eurovision... They're boycotting it because of Israel's inclusion.

I didn't realise this had even been considered by, well, anyone as a valid form of protest but apparently it is.

Personally I think it's ridiculous as Eurovision is a non political event. And also they didn't boycott last year's event despite what Russia was up to (they nearly went to watch it in one of the Liverpool fan park things).

It's not a full blown argument, and I do respect the decision but it does seem like a pretty bizarre angle to me.

I think the problem lies in that Israel haven't been banned, as Russia were last year, also I've heard mutterings about (I think) Luxemburg's entry too, as the performer is also an Israeli, Russia invaded Ukraine & were banned, Israel invaded Gaza & haven't been banned, a lot of people are struggling to see the difference, however we'll leave it at that, the facts as perceived by many, rightly or wrongly, I've no intention of trying to get the thread locked.

Non-political? Well yes, but only in so far as they don't openly declare it! There's always been tactical voting, swapped votes and allegiances. I'll vote for you and you vote for me type of shenanigans.

BTW I watched one or two finals after old Tel retired from presenting it. It was never the same without him! It was brilliant the way he called out political voting in his funny and sarcastic responses to the dodgy voting b that has always gone on.

I can only imagine what it'll be like with the current UK presenters. I won't be watching. I think it's gone downhill after growing to the size it is. It always amuses me the way it's called eurovision even Israel joined in and I still think I must have misheard about Australia in it. That can't be true can it?

Solocle

Über Member
I think the problem lies in that Israel haven't been banned, as Russia were last year, also I've heard mutterings about (I think) Luxemburg's entry too, as the performer is also an Israeli, Russia invaded Ukraine & were banned, Israel invaded Gaza & haven't been banned, a lot of people are struggling to see the difference, however we'll leave it at that, the facts as perceived by many, rightly or wrongly, I've no intention of trying to get the thread locked.

Russia invaded Ukraine. Remember this war started with Gaza invading Israel, not vice versa.

That's a fundamental difference.

Anyway.
62DF2E14-58A3-4508-8377-83EFA60C76E1.jpeg

Solocle

Über Member
I think you'll find Israel has been invading Gaza for decades, beginning in 1948, not just October last year

Israel has been participiating in Eurovision for decades.

It has been decades of war, despite Israel's unilateral withdrawal from Gaza in 2005.

NACA is thataway. But suffice it to say, it's nothing like Russia invading a country that was completely non-hostile towards them.

Russia-Ukraine is one of the very few conflicts in the world with clear "goodies" and "baddies".

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Anyone but Ireland, surely!

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Pretty girl and a bloke playing the recorder; what’s not to like?

I can see why the Swiss entry is one of the favourites - their vocals are just in a different league to Olly Alexander’s insipid simpering.

Top Bottom