Evaluation of New Zealand’s bicycle helmet law

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Distances are not conducive to cycling. We drove from Wellington to Napier and only passed through one major town. No way you could cycle that route. Get outside the towns and you are on major roads and the NZ drivers are mad! I cycled the Kapiti coast cycle path - 50 miles there and back - along quiet back roads and cycle paths. But that was it, no other cycle routes in that part of the country. No cycle lanes in major cities either. NZers seem to be more into off roading rather than road cycling and certainly not communting. I guess Christchurch may be a different, as it is flat, but I haven't been down there for a while. Wellington and Auckland would be too hilly to cycle.

All of NZ is like that including Christchurch. They however have a good following of cyclocross and off-road biking. There is also another danger for road bikes in that the hordes of tourists doing free and easy travel on hired vehicles are proving to be major concern.

I do recall there is a major program to build national cycleways but I suspect they are going to be off-road.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I wouldn't let my kids out on their bikes without a helmet.
On what basis?

green1

Über Member
Oh go on then.
Plastic Hat enforcer's look away now. I don't want the blame for your heart palpitations.

Video of my little boy having so much fun

Come on then, where's the video of you showing him how to ride a skate park properly?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get @GrumpyGregry to do it for you.

[
Come on then, where's the video of you showing him how to ride a skate park properly?

:thumbsup: It was his first go..

Onyer

DSCN0249.JPG
Saw these whilst riding the Kapati Coast cycling route in New Zealand in 2006

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
That doesn't square with the increase we have here.
Exactly. Despite your weather and (as far as I can tell from this forum) similar motorist attitudes towards cyclists, cycling in the UK is far more prevalent than in Australia. I can think of one major reason why. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Exactly. Despite your weather and (as far as I can tell from this forum) similar motorist attitudes towards cyclists, cycling in the UK is far more prevalent than in Australia. I can think of one major reason why. :rolleyes:
Please tell!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom