Evans - a rant!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dst87

So I've been a member here for over a months now, and believe it or not STILL don't have a bike!

With lots of help, I tried to order in the Norco Indie 3 bike to Evans in Glasgow which has now come in damaged THREE TIMES! It's insane! I feel doomed to never get a bike!

I feel most sorry for the friendly forum members @Pat "5mph" and @ScotiaLass who have now allowed a few different days to come with me and I've had to cancel at very short notice.

I'm realising that this is a totally pointless post, but I wanted a rant! To be fair they've always been very friendly on the phone and seen genuinely embarrassed and apologetic that this keeps happening. I think my plan now might be to just go with no bike on order and try a few that are there.

I'm so keen to get going that this is getting super frustrating now! Anyone else had similar experiences or horror stories they'd like to share/vent about? Or maybe something you can now look back and laugh at! :laugh:

FWIW I would go elsewhere and try a local place in Falkirk, but through my life insurance I get a 50% discount at Evans which makes it very attractive!

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
My experiences with Evans (Maidstone branch) have, so far, all been incredibly negative.
Staff more concerned with standing chatting to each other than attending customers.
Poor product knowledge - I've had to play Golden Shot (left a bit...stop, down a bit...stop) in order to direct them to the item behind the counter that i was after. God knows what would have happened if I couldn't actually see it.
Had to wait 15 minutes for them to find an item that I'd pre-ordered and had received an email to say was ready for collection.

The only time I'd use them now is if I needed something so urgently that I didn't have time to go to a proper bike shop, or Halfords.

OP
OP
dst87

dst87

50% Discount!

As in half price?

Shaun

Yes, though for experienced riders buying more expensive bikes it's not as good. The company is called Vitality (used to be Prudential) and you get points for doing certain things - getting medical checkups, doing exercise, etc. The more points you get, the higher your tier and the bigger the discount.

At the basic tier you get 50% off up to £500 of bike (£250 discount)
At silver you get 50% off up to £600 of bike (£300 discount)
At gold you get 50% off up to £800 of bike (£400 discount)
At platinum you get 50% off up to £1000 of bike (£500 discount)

It's also not a discount. You pay retail (cash or debit/credit card - no finance), and the cashback is paid in quarterly instalments over the following year.

Still... it's better than nothing!

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can get one bike every 3 years per insured person. Including online purchases, so you don't necessarily need to deal with the store if you know what you want. Though... you know... it might turn up damaged!!

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
My experiences with Evans (Maidstone branch) have, so far, all been incredibly negative.
Staff more concerned with standing chatting to each other than attending customers.
Poor product knowledge - I've had to play Golden Shot (left a bit...stop, down a bit...stop) in order to direct them to the item behind the counter that i was after. God knows what would have happened if I couldn't actually see it.
Had to wait 15 minutes for them to find an item that I'd pre-ordered and had received an email to say was ready for collection.

The only time I'd use them now is if I needed something so urgently that I didn't have time to go to a proper bike shop, or Halfords.
Oh i so agree with this one. My experiences there have also been poor.

Im trying to steel myself to return a wheel to them that is buckled.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
The lads at Manchester Velodrome branch are a friendly bunch who seem to know their stuff. Not made a major purchase from them but lights, bags, bits & clothes have all been fine.

OP hope you get it sorted soon

vickster

Legendary Member
The Wimbledon branch are ok but I wouldn't buy a bike from them. They are ok as receivers of my online purchases.

I expect the chain will go downhill now they've been bought by vulture capitalists

vickster

Legendary Member
How has the bike been damaged? Is it the same one? If minor cosmetic, ask for another 25% off ;)

Mrs M

Guru
We popped into Evans in Glasgow last year when down visiting family.
Very disappointing.
Was Friday afternoon, not particularly busy but the staff did a great job of totally ignoring us and looking busy even though the store was quiet, so walked out. :thumbsdown:

OP
OP
dst87

dst87

How has the bike been damaged? Is it the same one? If minor cosmetic, ask for another 25% off ;)

The bike has arrived (presumably in pieces to be built in store) and has a bent fork I think? I'm sure that's what the guy said. Not cosmetic but supposedly useless and they can't fix it.

Don't know the full story, but the guy on the phone agreed that he doesn't blame me for going off that bike.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Yes, though for experienced riders buying more expensive bikes it's not as good. The company is called Vitality (used to be Prudential) and you get points for doing certain things - getting medical checkups, doing exercise, etc. The more points you get, the higher your tier and the bigger the discount.

At the basic tier you get 50% off up to £500 of bike (£250 discount)
At silver you get 50% off up to £600 of bike (£300 discount)
At gold you get 50% off up to £800 of bike (£400 discount)
At platinum you get 50% off up to £1000 of bike (£500 discount)

It's also not a discount. You pay retail (cash or debit/credit card - no finance), and the cashback is paid in quarterly instalments over the following year.

Still... it's better than nothing!

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can get one bike every 3 years per insured person. Including online purchases, so you don't necessarily need to deal with the store if you know what you want. Though... you know... it might turn up damaged!!
Don't you have to look like Jessica Ennis and take a Dachshund jogging with you, to qualify for the discount?

You could try a different branch of Evans :smile: I like your plan of just going and trying what they have though. :okay:

lesley_x

Über Member
Is that Glasgow or Braehead? I haven't dealt with Glasgow but Braehead have been faultless for me.

Have had fantastic service from Braehead, with one exception - when I bought my wheels and the lad behind the desk argued with me that they weren't Shimano fitting, and campagnolo wheels aren't compatible with Shimano at all. His manager promptly came along and corrected him but he was rather cheeky.

OP
OP
dst87

dst87

Don't you have to look like Jessica Ennis and take a Dachshund jogging with you, to qualify for the discount?

Haha, well certainly getting to Platinum looks challenging, but everyone gets the base level automatically, so members can at least save £250.

I like your plan of just going and trying what they have though. :okay:

I just hope they have something suitable in my price range, but with the help of @ScotiaLass and @Pat "5mph" I'm sure I'll be safe :smile:

Is that Glasgow or Braehead? I haven't dealt with Glasgow but Braehead have been faultless for me.

This is Glasgow city centre. It was easiest in terms of being able to get the train back with the bike as it's very close to Queen Street station. I did pop into the Braehead branch too, but never spoke to anyone. The brief conversation I had with the guy in Glasgow when I popped in speculatively was reasonable and he seemed to have some idea, though obviously my level of knowledge wouldn't have detected cluelessness in him!

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
The Wimbledon branch are ok but I wouldn't buy a bike from them. They are ok as receivers of my online purchases.

I expect the chain will go downhill now they've been bought by vulture capitalists
No dont thats where i got my tourer from on the ride to work scheme. They built it with a buckled wheel Which i didnt spot But i do expect a bike mechanic to spot it.

Top Bottom