Evans C2W Scheme - Need advice for new Road Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tomtrumps

Oh, and as someone relatively new to all this too, I didn't notice much between the 2014 and 2015 105 groupsets. I'm told there is but it is probably more nuanced than I I can tell!

So I'm not sure the 2015 model is £150 better. As I said I was fortunate to get the 2015 model for £900 and the 2014 had sold out of 58", albeit they seem to have more stock again now. I aslonprrfer the green a little more, but thought the blue was a lovely looking bike.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Hi @seanmcd

couldn't help but post here.

I think that (from your 1st post) what you really need is the BMC GF02, it seems to be everything you wish for & moreover a bike that excites you will get ridden more often than another that doesn't have the X factor you crave.

FWIW both the Spesh Allez & Trek Madone are the race oriented models of each brand, the Allez being the aluminium equivalent of the Tarmac.

The BMC is exactly what it says - a GF or Gran Fondo machine, great for all day comfort, sportives & Gran Fondo's obviously.

The Domane (not Madone) is Treks sportive bike & Secteur & Roubaix are Specialized sportive models.

I like that you like the BMC if only that they are lesser seen on the road than the big 3 or 4 brands.

Good luck with your decision but don't dilly dally or you might find them all gone in your size.

OP
OP
S

seanmcd

Hi @seanmcd

couldn't help but post here.

I think that (from your 1st post) what you really need is the BMC GF02, it seems to be everything you wish for & moreover a bike that excites you will get ridden more often than another that doesn't have the X factor you crave.

FWIW both the Spesh Allez & Trek Madone are the race oriented models of each brand, the Allez being the aluminium equivalent of the Tarmac.

The BMC is exactly what it says - a GF or Gran Fondo machine, great for all day comfort, sportives & Gran Fondo's obviously.

The Domane (not Madone) is Treks sportive bike & Secteur & Roubaix are Specialized sportive models.

I like that you like the BMC if only that they are lesser seen on the road than the big 3 or 4 brands.

Good luck with your decision but don't dilly dally or you might find them all gone in your size.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I never knew buying a new bike could be such an exhausting and emotional experience!

I had another test ride on the BMC Granfindo gf02 Tiagra and loved it again, however this time I noticed that I was having trouble braking. Maybe I have small hands, but I really struggled to apply the brakes fully when on the hoods and in the drops. In the drops only my finger tips reach the brakes and it takes a real effort to pull them. On the hoods, I feel like I am braking from the middle of the lever and struggle for leverage. Obviously this is quite an important feature when riding, so I was/am a bit concerned. I put it down to the 2014 Tiagra shifters and so wanted to try some 105's on other bikes to compare, as the 105's have apparently been slimmed down and are more ergonomic (not sure if this is the 2014 & 2015 models or just the 2015). Anyway, that led me to trying as many bikes as possible.

I think Evans are almost sick of me, as I have tried most of the bikes they have in my size (I have even traveled to 3 other Evans branches to hunt down different frames and brands). Out of all the other bikes I tried in the £800-1200 price range...(yes my budget has gone up), including the Cannondale Synapse, Specialized roubaix and Cannondale Evo Supersix (bit of a wildcard choice, lovely for a quick test ride but think it would be a bit too aggressive for me and my back for a long ride), the only other bike I really liked is the Trek Domane 2.3.

However, even this does not touch the BMC for comfort, fit and overall awesomeness. I have not only decided to go with the BMC (I think), but I am seriously considering upgrading to the the Carbon version, which I tried and loved even more today (my budget is clearly going out the window on this one)...
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/granfondo-gf02-carbon-tiagra-2015-road-bike-ec072427
My only gripe again is the brakes. The brakes on the Carbon version are tiagra, but the shifters are 105, however I am still really having issues with gripping and applying the brakes in the hoods and the drops. The guy in Evans said it may be the handlebar or could be the position of the hoods and they could lower them.

My question is this...can I adjust the shifters to adapt to my small hands/grip in anyway (maybe position them differently on the bar or loosen the cable)? I have also heard about shims, would these be applicable here and if so which ones are compatible? It's just so weird that I am only having this issue with the BMC bikes I have tried and don't want to commit to buying a £1350 bike that I can't stop quickly. Any advice would be most welcome...

vickster

Legendary Member
Hood shape is my issue, 105 (at least the 10 speed) and below are just too fat for me to hold comfortably between thumb and forefinger, not just the reach to the levers. Sram simply works way better for me in this regard

OP
OP
S

seanmcd

Well today, I finally bit the bullet and got my new bike. I went for the BMC Granfondo 105 (58cm frame)...http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/granfondo-gf02-105-2014-road-bike-ec053874

It is a real beauty (even if it is a Black bike Vickster!). I tried the larger frame and knew instantly it was the right move. On the 56cm frame, the seatpost was raised almost to the end. It was still really comfy, so I guess I am on the border between the 56 & 58 frame sizes. The brakes really weren't as much of an issue for me today, so it may have been the position of the hoods on the last BMC bike I tried. I was able to reach and pull them fine, but I will see how I get on during a longer ride and then the shims could be an option.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with it and can't wait to give it a proper christening! Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated!

Top Bottom