Evans Cycles Stockroom Muppets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

firvulag

Hi

Anyone else having trouble with Evans Cycles online orders.

I ordered 2 * Specialized All condition Armadillos 700 x 25 worth nearly £50.

I received 2* Continental MTB Innertubes worth nearly £6 instead.

The stock numbers were C211B vs C7118 so you can see how it happened but the product description and value was also clearly printed on the picking list/dispatch note so they are obviously not paying their staff enough to read or think.

The returns dept alluded that it was a common everyday problem happening all the time and that they were trying to sort it out. No offer of just keep the tubes though as a goodwill and no freepost label for returns - oh no I've got to send them back and wait for them to then send me the replacements and refund my postage (which at least they did offer to do as required by law).

They never used to be this sloppy - hopefully things will get better otherwise I'm off to bikesyoulike and cyclebasket in future.

I'll let you know if/when I get my tyres and postage back.

Cheers

D

Perry

I agree, they never used to be sloppy.

Sometimes these on-line savings can be a pain

redjedi

Über Member
But why did you order on-line from Evans? They charge full retail for everything.

You can get those tyres cheaper elsewhere.

I only ever get stuff from Evans if I need something straight away and I can stop by the shop.

killiekosmos

Veteran
No need for you to return them at your expense. You could ask them to send you the postage first. No need for you to be out of pocket. Postage must be close to the cost of the tubes?

You could tell them just to cancel the order and shop elsewhere.

OP
OP
F

firvulag

I needed the types quickly and Evans (up till now) has always been fast and reliable. LBS didnt have any in stock or I would have gone there.

I usually buy stuff in the Evans sales but I agree other shops like cyclebasket and bikeulike are often better value.

So following on - whats everyones favourite low cost reliable internet bike shop.

garrilla

bonj said:
why don't you order from chainreactioncycles

I just had an order from there arrive (new wheels, cassettse, chain etc etc) but I added an extra 3pack of SRAM power links, but they sent me a 1pack GRRRR, even they get it wrong sometimes :wacko:

bonj2

they're not great though. Very slow rolling.

Scratch

Über Member
chainreaction once sent me some rockshox argyle forks worth about £300 when I'd ordered some toras for ~£150.

I was tempted to keep them but they were lime green and had a 20mm axle so I had to send them back. Bit of an expensive mistake by their staff that day and a pain in the arse for me having to post a package that big and heavy. I wanted to be riding on my new forks instead ;).

OP
OP
F

firvulag

Update:
Sent of the tubes last night at acost of £6.70 (special delivery as recorded is not tracked end to end). Got an email today from some else in customer services saying they were going to send out new tyres via UPS.

Called them - "dont bother sending the tubes back its not worth it" - yes I know so why did M*** in returns ask me to do it, and its too late they are already sent was my reply.

Me: As UPS dont have an Aberdeen depot (nearest is Dundee 60+ miles way) why are you not sending Royal Mail like last time. Noone will be at home and I cant take delivery at work so UPS is absolutely no use as I'll need to pick it up from the depot. Every other UK carrier I'm aware of has an Aberdeen depot.

Evans: Well we are having trouble with Royal Mail as a lot of items are being delayed or missing due to strikes (in London area). So if we use Royal Mail it will be at your risk and we wont use any other carrier.

End result order cancelled -I'll wait for them at my LBS.
I'm now awaiting my refund for the tyres and postage with interest.

Its not bad or rude service - just a bit inconsistent, messy and not joined up.
It will be a while before I use them again - probably just for sale items.

Top Bottom