Evans Cycles Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Question 6 - which I presume is the meat of your survey - I have no idea.

I go to Evans occasionally if I happen to be near one when I need to make a cycle-related purchase. I would not go out of my way to visit one, as several times I have been ignored by shop staff when needing advice, even though there were staff apparently standing around talking to each other. Not sure if that helps in any way - I guess quality of customer service does not count as an external factor.

Wafer

Veteran
Same as Spinney, any answer I gave to the points in Q6 would be wild guesses. I would think some of them have had some effect, couldn't quantify how much, and there are probably things not on that list that have also contributed.

(backing up the two previous answers)

Question 6 is not the right question. You should be asking us why we go (or don't go) to Evans cycles or asking us how those event affected (or didn't affect) our cycling. Then you can draw the conclusions which may well be of the form of question 6.

I visit Evans cycles as often as I visit any other bike store, and have probably spent a few hundred pounds there over the years (my first UK bike purchase was from them). I have no idea if they are successful or not.

Even if I was an expert on Evans and cycling in general, you are conflating two things that aren't the same. What if I though the 2012 Olympics were brilliant for cycling, but bad for Evans? There's no way to express that.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I found it difficult to answer question 6, in each were you taking Evans or general.... I'm not sure Evans has a huge impact on people taking up cycling, I think it's more likely to be seeing someone else cycling locally.

OP
OP
A

AC99

Sorry that question 6 seems to have caused some confusion. I'm trying to conduct a PESTEC Analysis, taking into account the Political, Economic, Social, Technological, Environmental and Competition factors that have impacted on Evan Cycles. The aim of the question was to determine things that have encouraged more people to take up the sport in recent years, hence contributing in some way to the organisations success. If theres anything else I have missed it would be great to hear it, being new to the sport myself its great to get the opinions of more experienced riders. Thanks again for your comments.

I bought my bike from evans and they have done 2 services and fitted parts (wheels, stem, handlebars) and never had complaints but for clothing and general components I prefer tredz or wiggle to buy from.

I hate shopping inshore at evans as they won't offer help unless you stand beside an expensive bike and then its like flies round @@@@

Wafer

Veteran
You might want to ask if those things led the person answering the questionnaire getting involved or getting more involved in cycling instead.
Still might struggle a bit here as lots of members will have been cycling for a long time anyway!

External factors that have impacted on Evans success? How about internal factors that impact on reputation.
I went into an Evans to buy a new front light. I hovered for ages looking at the lights hoping for a demonstration but staff showed no interest at all so I left and got my light from e-bay.

Slioch

Guru
Survey done.
My answers to Q6 were based on my own personal opinion, so probably at a different end of the spectrum from the median.

Re' shopping at Evans, I quite like the fact the staff don't badger you and let you get on with a good browse. But they are there if you need them or ask for help. Perhaps that's the company policy to treat customers like that?

snorri

Legendary Member
Shurely "Company management" should have been an option in Q6?:rolleyes:
Management will have had a bigger influence on company performance than any sporting personality,

Katherine

Guru
External factors that have impacted on Evans success? How about internal factors that impact on reputation.
I went into an Evans to buy a new front light. I hovered for ages looking at the lights hoping for a demonstration but staff showed no interest at all so I left and got my light from e-bay.

I hovered for ages at the lights, took some to the till with questions about fitments and I was given lots of help by a friendly member of staff who came over to the lights section with me. I was able to get what I needed without any pressure.

Top Bottom