Evans Cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
TBH I'm never impressed with these 'high street' bike shops.....been in Evans Chill Factor's shop whilst "killing time" - wouldn't buy anything........ nor take my bikes there....

Overpriced.........simple, and not experienced enough........

Servicing.....no-one but me is touching my bikes, but I can do it.... if you can't, go to a quality LBS instead....

My LBS knows I don't buy stuff from him (other than my bike to work fixed) - but I'll turn up with a wheel build and he will sort it, knowing I won't be back until it's worn out..... he does a good job.. Anything I buy from him does not need to go back, I don't even need to 'tweak' wheels......

LBS's like that are fab........

Vidor06

Long term loafer
Only experience I have is online. First bike I had was ordered from Wiggle, it took ages and I ended up not getting the bike I wanted. It was stolen and the replacement came from Evans. They were quick and the set up was better than Wiggle. Next bike was ordered from LBS. No more online bike buying for me.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
hackbike 666 said:
I know I want strengthened spokes as well but unsure about the rest.:wahhey:

None butted spokes (i.e. straight) (ACI/DT Swiss) and 32 or 36 hole rims/hubs with 3 cross spokes (even 4 cross that Dan_bo has just had.....) hard as nails wheels.....

I use 32 x spokes, straight ACI's on 3 x lacing on my Fixed for day to day... never needed truing, even when I bent a rim......:shy:

luther

Bought a bike from Evans on Thursday..... part of the C2W scheme so I'm just glad it's not Halfords. Customer Service was brilliant and the bike was almost perfect on collection (low pressure on both tyres). My local Evans (Brentford) has only just become an Evans store.... previously it used to be a LBS with a good reputation (I'm told). Will wait for the first service and see what happens :wahhey:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Been using them since they were FW Evans and had a store in The Cut plus one or two others. May still have been a family business at the time. As a chain of bike shops that began as an LBS (and builder) in London they should have a head start on Halfords.

Bought my first Brommy from the Waterloo store in 1999 and use them from time to time for 'distress' spares and perhaps an impulse buy if I'm passing/browsing. Staff generally seem knowledgeable and friendly. The one odd experience was finding panniers on display on metal hangers normally used for clothing. Result damage to fabric and waterproofing compromised. I bought from Bikefix instead.

Son's Dawes Discovery came from the web order centre. Pricing was competitive and it arrived on time well packed and with comprehensive instructions for assembling it from the packed (bars turned, pedals off) state. A natty little multitool was provided for the purpose.

So in in line with other conclusions, not as good as the best LBS but much better than a car bits business that sells bikes on the side!!

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Have dealt with their online guys a lot and always use their online price promise which means I get things as cheap as possible. No problems to report.

Their Castleford store is okay if you get someone who's knowledgeable, but if you get a 17-year old school leaver you'll be answering your own questions.

Also agree with User that they spend a lot of effort making themselves look trendy and I guess this works with the fashionistas. I personally prefer substance over style.

fossyant said:
TBH I'm never impressed with these 'high street' bike shops.....been in Evans Chill Factor's shop whilst "killing time" - wouldn't buy anything........ nor take my bikes there....

Servicing.....no-one but me is touching my bikes, but I can do it.... if you can't, go to a quality LBS instead....

My LBS knows I don't buy stuff from him (other than my bike to work fixed) - but I'll turn up with a wheel build and he will sort it, knowing I won't be back until it's worn out..... he does a good job.. Anything I buy from him does not need to go back, I don't even need to 'tweak' wheels......

Nice and hopefully mine will be strong as well....I find on an newly bought bike the whels are crap...I remember on the Dawes Audax the wheel lasting 67 miles and on the fixie it lasted 300...I take it these are machine built wheels?

I may got a to a local LBS ...there are two around here now...there have been none for years.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I take it these are machine built wheels?

Yes. Machine built wheels don't have even tension so after a few miles they start wobbling.

If you have a truing stand, you can tension evenly yourself or get the bike shop to do it before you leave with the new bike.

Properly tensioned wheels don't go out of true for a long time or in my case, until I break a spoke.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Have to say the staff at the Evans branch in Reading were pretty good. Not sure I'd say brilliant, but pretty good.

lanternerouge

Veteran
fossyant said:

Which is your LBS fossyant?

Top Bottom