Wales : Gwent Evans Ride It South Wales

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yesterday I rode the Evans "Ride it South Wales" sportive from Tredegar.

There were three routes - 53, 78 and 120km. We chose the middle one as I had to drive to London afterwards.

I was riding with a friend who is a very strong rider, so I agreed to push myself a bit more than usual, and he agreed to wait for me. I managed better than expected, but the ride was certainly a "trial of speed" for me.

The route was lovely. Out to Llangynydr, with views of the Usk Valley, a loop round Llangorse Lake, food stop at a pub, then alongside Talgarth reservoir before a hideous climb at the end of the valley. All well signposted. I used to live near the area, so it was quite nostalgic for me.

The food stop was well supplied. In addition to the usual gels and nanas there were flapjacks, two kinds of cake, nachos, peanuts and energy bars, with coffee for sale at the bar.

Other riders were friendly and all the riding I saw was perfectly responsible. Special thanks go to the lady who was having trouble with her gears on the big climb. If she hadn't given me an excuse to get off and help I would probably have toppled off unaided.

At the start/end was a cafe and a big car park. Freebies included yet more gels, electrolyte tabs, dry lube and stuff that I never buy. But now I get to try them.

All for £20. Not bad at all, I thought. I may be back next year.

Would I have preferred an un organised pootle round the area? Maybe, but it was an interesting experience to have to push myself physically.

Top Bottom